Friday, August 5, 2011

More Childhood Memories



I know this is a Steiff tiger, but I believe Steiff made these up until fairly recently, and this guy looks to be in such good condition, he may be "newer" than I am, but I had one of these as a kid (bought at a thrift shop or yard sale). But his face! Sooo charming! Prices are good on common Steiffs these days, (read: CHEAP!) so he has a new home.






I think I was 25 before I finally got my very own stereo, but for years all I had was a little transistor radio and an ear plug I used to listen to late into the night. OK, so mine was white, but transistor radios are cheap, cheap and they made a lot of them, so these can be bought for a few dollars too.

I'm afraid the songs on the radio have changed, though lol.






I'm not 100% happy with the curtains I got for the Space room, but price was CHEAP!! And just enough material for the two windows. I can get a different kind in the future, but for some reason, finding barkcloth in the right colors and design and enough material for the vintage Space room, has gone on for over two years without luck, so I finally have to get something!





I got my set of vintage artists paints, brushes and supplies and while I'm thrilled, a tube of dark cerulean blue exploded in transit from the pressure. Ha ha! Blue stained fingers, even now! I didn't mind so much, it was confined to one area of the inside of the box, but I always hated wasting good oil paint.




I didn't have much as a kid, and I'm not buying many things, and I still have some of my stuff, oh and my childhood was less than "ideal", but as you get to be an old bat like me, it's very "soothing" to remember good times, even if they weren't fantastic at the time. Some of the memories were. At least I can recreate a better one now lol.

I remember adults telling me to "enjoy being a kid" but I couldn't wait to grow up! Now I see what they meant. They were right ha ha.


For the "older folks", do you still have or collect the things you had as a kid? Better yet, favorite childhood memories? Simple things, big or small... I know I asked this about toys before, but I guess I'm on a childhood kick lately.

Uncle Atom fed into this when he mentioned Dairy Queen on his blog and I wrote a long missive about how they just tore down my local Dairy Queen after about 60 years. Boo hoo!!

Happy Friday, I seem to be a little uninspired about my blog posts lately, sorry for the repeat questions! I get bouts of depression and can't think of fun things to say.


Oh and a huge THANK YOU to Vintage Coconut for her offer to send me a replacement horsie! She found two at a yard sale I believe, and I couldn't imagine breaking them up they had been together for so long. What a sweet thing to offer, tho, thank you!!
.
.

22 comments:

  1. I don't collect anything to do with my childhood but at 44 I'm getting far more nostalgic for my home area - I moved away at 20 to move to London! I don't want to live there really, but I like stuff related to the area, fortunately it hasn't got as far as my collecting yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still living in the area (and home) I grew up in, but so much changes around here. That's why it was so sad to see the Dairy Queen ice cream shop close it's doors and get torn down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! There is one childhood memory I am particularly fond of: picking wild asparagus in Wisconsin. Nowadays it's illegal to do so (heck, it might have been illegal back then, too). But I remember when it got cooked up how great it tasted, and it made me wonder how something that good can taste to bad when it came out of a can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not DQ so much, but in North Carolina it was Hardee's (Carls Jr to the West Coast people) and here in Tennessee it was Shoney's/Big Boy which had a drive-in like Sonic.

    Not collecting things from childhood; only thing I remember is Barbies. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww Ranch you are great!
    The horsies are happy and because of you I now have the new addition to my vintage stuff. I don't think I will get rid of them either. Being sold at one garage sale by their original owner could be enough trauma for a lifetime.

    That little Tiger you picked up is awfully cute. I love its eyes! (Now if I find one tomorrow while out saling... I might get a little freaked out.) *haha*

    *Have a lovely weekend*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can really relate to collecting things from my childhood - I've gone from baseball cards to old metal lunchboxes to all kinds of mid century. I've been piecing together a Batman Utility belt from the 1966 TV show - someday I'll have it complete, but for me I guess the fun is mostly in the hunt. I'm really sorry you're local Dairy Queen is gone, that's a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love transistor radios! I regret not having kept the two radios my dad used to have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FHF my Mom grew up in Wisconsin, and she had so many fond memories of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. VC I bet you find some kind of tiger in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool, Uncle Atom! I remember watching that show as a kid. Well, my brothers pretty much forced me to watch what THEY wanted to watch, so it was "boys TV" for the most part,

    ReplyDelete
  11. We used to have, I believe it was a Sears Silvertone brand radio. Cheap, as everything we owned, and sometimes I look for one I think was the same but... so far, nothing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I slept with the transistor under my pillow! But I remember our first Hi Fi! It had a turntable that folded down with speakers on the side. I almost wore that thing out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a leopard like that tiger! That's not a sentence one gets to say often. My dad had a transistor radio with an ear plug, I'm sure he used it to drown out the sound of us kids.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes - I have noticed a definite pattern to my thrifting, it seems that I am on a major nostalgia trip!

    http://custardino.blogspot.com/2011/06/re-creating-my-childhood.html

    Love your blog, happy to have found it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got into Steiff toys when I was a youngster too! I still have my little kitten "tapsy" that was from a yard sale. I managed to find a few that way back in the 80's on the east coast. I never see them outside of antique stores now! Stuff thjat was new from my childhood is now pretty collectable. My roommates are in the living room playing an original NES right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I collect vintage Barbies, her friends and all the clothing from the sixties, up to the mod era, circa 1973. The clothing was so well produced back then. I never had a Barbie, I had a Skipper (still have it) that my brother found. I loved going to friends' houses and play with theirs. I'm making up for it now!

    As for DQ, I know what you mean, we still have an old fashioned one near us, the kind that only opens in the summer and I love it. We make a point of going every so often.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My husband is collecting a few board games he had or wanted as a kid. But I think I've moved past those things. I like to go look at Barbies at Toys R Us but I don't think I'll ever buy them. Is it weird to want to play with them at 36? It's really the hair, I loved Barbie hair.

    I would love to have my dollhouse. My parents made me a dollhouse when I was 5 and it's been to Europe and back, from Alabama to Arizona to St. Louis where it currently resides in my parent's basement. The plan is that I will get it back one day when we're a bit more settled and have a little more room. Once I get it I'm going to have to reinforce it some but I want to decorate it again like I used to have it. I loved that dollhouse. My parents took great care of making it a lovely house and bought many beautiful things for it. Little dishes and beds with linens.

    If I had the room I'd try to find the school house and grocery that I used with the dollhouse. They weren't even really rooms as much as they were cutaways of rooms. But it was fantastic. My little dollhouse people had a huge family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you are playing, De tout!

    My Mom used to play with her dolls. In fact, she was a bit concerned that other folks might think her a little "off", so she wouldn't admit it to others, but she loved to "play".

    She hadn't had much of a childhood, and mine, well... lol... I think that's why I'm getting nostalgic for mine, or at least the idealized version of mine.

    TIBM:

    That's my plan, to get my doll house set up again. Mom and I used to go through the Miles Kimball magazine or catalog and order all kinds of furniture and stuff for it. It took some time, as money was always tight, but I loved it.

    No slick modern furniture, all Colonial which was still popular for doll houses back then, but I had fun decorating it every holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "For the "older folks", do you still have or collect the things you had as a kid? Better yet, favorite childhood memories?" BAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You kill me, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wonder if I'm not yet old enough to dwell on my childhood or whether I simply can't remember it?? I always buy things in a flash if I remember them from childhood, but I can never remember them beforehand!
    Hope you're feeling better soon...that sounds a bit twee because it's not that quick and easy, I know from experience that depression is a demon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My childhood was in the 60s..so I think that makes me an older folk. :)
    I'm very nostalgic and for years now have been collecting things I remember from childhood. Not much survived in our home so I have very few originals. It's always a thrill when I come across something that we had and I had more or less forgotten about. I moved far from my hometown in the Midwest but my heart has never been here on the West Coast - I miss what I loved (seasons, trees, grass, snow) but I don't miss the bad memories/family conflict...maybe, that is why I remember the things and try to re-create the past. I will never have a grown-up, sophisticated home - and, I don't want one...I like the child-like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. TammyCA, you are a gal after my own heart lol...

    Yes, my childhood, faaaaar from perfect, but we can make a new one lol... I too am thrilled when I see something I'd forgotten I had as well!

    ReplyDelete