Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Shabby Chic 1940's Phase - Antiques, Vintage



I discovered some old photos on disks of my art Studio. Well, it became more of a vintage showcase after a while. But I thought some of you might be interested to see this stuff.

Above is an old wooden display case, showing some of the very few family antiques I have, I believe mostly from my maternal great Grandmother, and Grandmother. Old school books (childrens books?) from the turn of the century, antique purses, a small sewing kit, some tatting or lace, and handmade cards, some from my great Aunt.

I believe the delicate pink thing (upper left) is called a "maids cap". All hand sewn. You can click for a larger image on any of these photos.







My Aunt gave all of this and more to me when I went to visit her in the 70's. She said it was all antique lace and lingerie from her mother in law. She was going to throw it out, so of course I agreed to take it!!









More of the lace and tatting and such from my aunt, to the right.







My art Studio. For several years it was an Art Deco theme of black and gray with red accents. I think that was before I got my digital camera.

Paint by numbers on the wall, plastic flowers (why did I re-sell all those? I had so many!), a vintage statue of Josephine Mom's had forever...







My wonderful green crushed ice formica kitchen table. More paint by numbers, and such....






My 1950's working Packard Bell TV. I know Dana over at Mid2Mod is going to send me the Packard Bell console (stereo? What was it again?) she has, right Dana? Ha ha.







And well, just more cosmetics, knick knacks, and I see my 1950's pink poodle there. Again, click on pic if you like to see details. I like to look at all the little things other folks have, so I made these images quite large.



Well, there you go! Something a bit different today. I went through the "Shabby Chic" phase, but realized as much as I love the look? I didn't like living with it. Too many things to dust off! My art Studio isn't exactly air tight, so a lot of dust gets blown in there on a daily basis. But it sure looked nice for the time I did it.

Happy Saturday everyone! Thanks for stopping by!
.
.

17 comments:

  1. I'm actually really close to buying a set of the green crushed ice chairs with matching table. Anything I should know as far as keeping them clean and in tip-top shape is concerned?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, thanks for sharing! what is it about us that makes us love to look in other peoples' houses? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick, mine still needs to have the chrome cleaned lol.... Have yet to get to that little chore...

    They last forever because they are built to last!!


    Kitty, I think it's just a natural curiosity, and a sort of comparison: Am I as crazy as she is? Does she do things that I do? Hey I think her place blows, I'd never have anything that ugly... Stuff like that lol...

    ReplyDelete
  4. All we use to clean chrome is undiluted white vinegar and #0000 steel wool. Makes it look like new!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Do I ever love your dinette set! GORGEOUS GORGEOUS!!

    You have such pretty stuff! Thanks for letting us peek about your house. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you need to rent a U-Haul and come get this Packard Bell hi-fi. It's called the Space Age...so it could go in your space room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I sometimes wonder about myself, driving around trying to get a glimpse inside cool houses. I know if I ever went inside, it would never "match my sweet imagination" like Paul Simon sez! I have unrealistic and Utopian ideals when it comes to that. I dream I go into a dime store like Woolworths, and it was left exactly as it was back in the fifties! Everything looks really great, though.Thanks, for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the green crushed ice formica table-chair set. I want that TV!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow on the boxes of vintage and all those clothing pieces you lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Formica dinettes make me happy. I've wanted one for years. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like that giant Pink Poodle stuffed animal. You had so much stuff! I totally know what you mean about having to dust. The dust collects as fast as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are awesome pics...I love the pink room! :)


    Also wanted to let you know that I will be hosting a new blog hop called Social Saturdays. It will start this Saturday so you can share your blog link and meet other bloggers. Please stop by and check it out. :)

    Jamie

    day-and-age-design.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi jamie and thanks. I have permanent links at the top right of my blog for sharing blog links, and promoting small businesses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its so wonderful, all of it! your furniture is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just spent a half hour reading old postings of yours, I love your blog- so fun!!
    And those magazine racks you blogged about.. drooling!
    Lucky xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. You could have paid tours of your home! What a nostalgic trip back in time. Just fabulous....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha, Shabby Chic looks better on TV and pictures. I understand. Your house is amazing. I cant believe its for real!

    Sophia
    http://lasophialasophia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete