Tuesday, June 7, 2011

It's A Buyers Market on eBay


I'm chained to my computer longer than those poor Chinese kids who work at sewing factories. In fact, I'm jealous of them... At least they get one day a week off... Har...

What to do while I slay corporations and perform aggressive take-overs? Why browse eBay, of course!

So what the hell is this thing? Well, there is a term for rough looking metal mid century sculptures: "Brutalist" or "Brut" for short. Ever hear of it? No? Plug the word into eBay, you'll see what I mean.

So when I saw this bright red "Brut" enameled candle holder, rather tall, around 17", I just had to have it.





You see, scented candles, or burning a lot of them, have replaced being the crazy cat lady. So instead of collecting cats, I guess old bats like me now burn scented candles. I still do both. Have cats and burn scented candles. In that order.

But seriously, I keep my eye out for interesting looking sculptures. This was cool enough, and, cheap! Crazy candle cat lady cheap.







I think I paid a total of $5 for both these red, white and blue, USA, plastic patriotic 1970's necklace and earring sets.

Nothing says "I love America" like plastic.



Thanks to you fellow bloggers who turned me on to 70's stuff and helped me to appreciate it as a real vintage instead of "just the junk I had when I was younger than I am now" lol.








Oh boy, HAD to get this super duper cool small space rocket lampshade!! OK, so it has a LITTLE damage, but we don't have to have EVERYTHING perfect? Right?? Cheap, cheap.




So I HAD to get a lamp to go with it, and found this base in white, which matched the same lamp base I already have in the spaceroom in black. Oh yeah, it was cheap!!


So, even as a an American chained to my work seven days a week, you can still find great deals for mere yuan lol...


Happy Tuesday evening from 1950's Atomic Ranch House, where every day is Monday!! :)
.
.

23 comments:

  1. Cool red, white, and blue jewelry - and TOTALLY cool lamp and shade!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little spaceman lamp shade is amazing!

    My older brother made a hanging candle holder thingy a lot like that in his high school drafting/shop class, but it was black, and he made it sometime in the late eighties. It hung in our living room for a long time when I was growing up. I always liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the candleholder! That thing is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mix and match of that great space lampshade and that base is a winner. I am also really loving that brut!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that lampshade and base are perfect for each other. I've also never heard of "brut" before. Must do research.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blimey i really like that red sculpture its amazing and fun. And i really like the lamp base to i wish i could vintage retro ones over here so seem to be few and far between. Cute space shade i can see why you had that to ;-)) 70's is a great fun period i love it to ;-)) Have a great week, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  7. dreamy stuff...lamp is aclear winner for me

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lamp is a perfect choice for the shade...in fact, it screams "Blast Off!"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dont mind buying on ebay but wont ever sell on it again!! Dont ask grrr post coing soon I am sure
    Anyway never heard of the brut before and love that spaceboy lightshade and the 70s jewellery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The red white and blue jewelry reminds me totally of my Aunt Ileene -who's middle name, love of pretty baubles, high hair and love of being the center of attention - I share. The lamp is sooo cool. Haven't ebayed in a year! You think you're out and they pull ya back in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Candle holder is neat! But I think that space lampshade is pretty nifty too! Glad your getting such great deals, im currently swiping up records for all the shows were doing at the theater this year, if you ever get a break head down our way and we'll put you up at the Casablanca! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, Mick--she's coming HERE first and THEN she can go visit you at the 'blanca! I simply cannot get into loving red white & blue stuff no matter when it was made--I think it has something to do with my Dad (who, as you know, I love dearly) trying to shove his right-wing patriotism down our throats as kids. Plus, as you also know, I'm more a rhinestone than plastic kind of gal. Then again, some of the rhinestone red white & blue stuff is sorta ok . . . As for eBay, I've given up trying to stay away--it really is a buyer's market right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy cool! I would totally become the crazy candle lady with that candle holder :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I think I may be a crazy candle lady too! That is a gawj holder. Like something from space! Speaking of which that light shade is amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. GREAT finds! The lamp and the shade are killing me. They'll go great together!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You find the best stuff. Maybe I need to hire you as a personal shopper!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That candle holder is awesome...I think it is made my Hanova of Pasadena. Their stuff has the coolest enamel texturing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Beccalina!!! You are right! I'd never heard of this. Thanks for the info, you are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That candleholder is very nice - I wouldn't have considered that brutalist, but what the heck do I know? I know this, I'd like to have it. We have a red metal "sculpture" outside our front door on the brick wall that looks like that candle holder's distant cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hummm you may be right, Uncle Atom. I was using the term loosely lol... Maybe I should do a bit of research on it and do a post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How funny! I saw your pic of the cream-colored "pointy" lamp with the gold alligator trim and started laughing. I just got a pair of these exact same lamps, but in bright green. They really are pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha I have seen them in three colors: White, black, and green! I do love them, I have two. :)

    ReplyDelete