Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Parts of the Master Bedroom


I say "parts" because I don't yet have the master bedroom looking 100%, so I can't photograph the whole thing. So no, these are not "teaser" photos but "I'm still getting it together" photos. I mean, that vintage ice chest and 1950's picnic basket really need to go somewhere else, and Dads mid century conga and bongos, well, yeah, not exactly room in here for them, nor the basket of his smaller instruments. Time to go through the closets. Again.

At any rate, I can show some of the master bedroom. The fun part is the decorating part, don't you agree?

Double tiered side table, turquoise lamp with fiberglass shade, enamel tray and McCoy pottery.





Yes, the only REAL pottery I have is thanks to our friend Vintage Christine in the white and turquoise dish. This is just perfect in this room! The enamel tray I picked up years ago at a thrift before I collected specifically 1950's stuff. Sweet find, also the right colors.





The Italian Londo Bitossi rimini blue dove Mom bought about 40 years ago, and me? I almost threw it out when I went through her estate the first time because I thought it was just some junk hippy knick knack. Then I saw one on eBay with a broken tail selling for like $100 and guess what? All of a sudden I liked this, I really liked this!!





I have a pair of these vases or candle holders, both with the same design. Don't you just love the jewel-like quality to the glass and the classic starburst design? I know our friend zootsuit mama has a couple like these too!






OK, the color of this photo looks funky, but it was a happy accident that my pink cone lamp matches the trim color exactly. Nope, don't have anything plugged in this room yet. getting there....






On the other side table my pink Western Electric or is it Bell telephone. Yeah, we used to have this exact phone in the kitchen with all 5' of cord. Imagine being 14 years old and trying to yank this 5 pound baby as far out the back door as possible to giggle in private with one of your girl friends about the hottie named Paul in your math class? lol... The pink atomic tripod ashtray. Oh no smoking in my house, ashtrays are just for show. =)





Some of the mid century pottery I bought. I have this funny obsession with these but I had to cut my collection off when I saw I really have so little room to display things. One look in the other "pink room" and it looks like an antique mall exploded in there, so best cut down on the buying.





For you young'ins, it's hard to describe seeing childhood photos of yourself as OLD black and white photos. Very surreal. Wow, am I THAT old??!! Chubby cheeks, I got shrivelled up and skinny in my old age lol.

My only poodle things, well, OK I have a couple more, but a pink and black beaded poodle dog. One of the pair of mid-century sculpture and boomerang vase.

You see, in using pinks and blues for this room, I wanted to be very careful not to do the shabby chic, chippy, cottage, Paris apartment look. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that look, but not in this room.

I also wanted to make sure there was enough masculine in here. You know nothing makes a mans manhood shrink faster than frilly lace and pink fru fru, and believe it or not, even an old bat like me has male company on occasion, so best to make your guests feel comfy (oh I hide the old family photos, that's just too much too ha ha). Was that too much information? Ahhh you all are hip, right? OK, moving on...






And the curtains are hard to see, but geometric shapes, and the double tiered fiberglass lamp shade, and more photos. On the dresser is my little kid hand print in clay, painted blue. Do kids still do those??

You know, I could have SWORN the desk and dresser were Drexel, would have bet money I saw that name stamped on the back of the dresser, but when I had it pulled out for painting, nothing, nadda, nine, just a few numbers scrawled on in grease pencil. Hmmm. Oh well, whatever, Mom bought this second hand back in the late 50's so it's 50's stuff at any rate. Sure looks like Drexel stuff...



Well, thank you for letting me share some of my slow, snails pace progress with you. It feels good to look like I am getting something done. 3 gallons of paint and a bottle of Ibuprofin to keep my crippled up old back moving ha ha. But hey, progress is progress!!


Happy Wednesday, thanks again for stopping by! We'd LOVE to see your bedroom if you'd like to show it off on your blog!!!
.
.

19 comments:

  1. What a fun tour and such great stuff! I especially love that glorious pink phone and your childhood photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OoOo It is starting to look VERY VERY nice from what I can see. I really enjoyed this post even chuckled a few times. Especially about the "hide the photos part" hehahahah

    The lamps are gorgeous! I liked that bird as soon as I saw it. (EVEN before you mentioned it had value) ;)

    I have 2 mid century pottery vases on the top of my t.v. I rather like them. "Heck for all I know mine could have been made 15 yrs ago or something I just picked them up at the local Salvation Army."

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it! Love the lamps & shades, the old photos. I have some black and white photos up, but not of myself. and LOVE the pink phone. Ours was light blue. (born in the early 70s here.) I was actually envious of friends who had those "newfangled" push button phones. gaaah, that makes me sound old?!?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha I remember being jealous of push button phones, friends who had color tv, microwaves, stereos, VCR players, casette players and darn near anything new. My family was always about a decade behind everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not to mention most guys simply do not find photos of dead relatives to be very... Well, "sexy" lol.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh turquoise and pink, the colors of the average 50s house official flag. The lamps, the end tables, the phone! Thanks for the peek around. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm liking it! I'm not into the mid-century pinks and blues (I'm more a 60s/70s naturals and orange girl), but everything looks really nice together.

    And my old pictures are B&W's too. Hard to believe in the short time we've been alive (tee hee) technology has jumped so far. But I'm also glad I didn't grow up where someone could video me passed out in the bar restroom, or carried to the car passed out. I give great thanks that YouTube was not around in my youth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you have so many cool things! I love, love, love your Rimini blue bird. That's my newest crave. I can't get enough of the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the end table!! I love B&W pics...I had a professional pic of my dad from when he was 2 years old (1956) but my mom keeps stealing it from me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Helen. =) Lots of hard work, not much to show so far....

    LOL Barbara! yes, no doubt we would have been on facebook posting dumb photos of ourselves if we were kids during these times. Thank goodness that one poloroid I destroyed years ago lollll

    Cute, BJ. Gee, your Dad was 2 in 1956? You are a young'in! =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow...Beautiful! And worth the wait! Very nice, and just the right amount of accessories! You did great! Thanks for mentioning me, by the way! It made me feel really good!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Golly Gee...
    What an amazing and lovely collection of beautiful thing.
    Such decication and you have a wonderful eye for detail.
    Thank you for allowing me a peek into your beautiful home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, an old bat like you gets a man? Just kidding! The pink and yellow (?) lamp is my favourite, you've matched things up beautifully from what we see here. And yes, kids DO still do the hand in the clay thing, VB came home from childcare with one last year. I treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks kindly, Tallulah (my Mom named one of the cloth dolls she made Tallulah).

    Hahahahaha Kitty! Shocks me too!!! Imagine an old woman like me with a man?! lol...

    The lamp is pink and gold, but I choose shades that have a warm color to them. They put out the best light (in my opinion).

    Ahh good to know kids are still making clay hand prints!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, that pink and turquoise! I love the pink phone.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that frosted vase with the stars on. And both those lamps are gorgeous and when the lights turned down low it gives a soft rosy glow just great company for entertaining ;-)) dee x

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK, so blogger restored the lost posts, but not the comments! Boo! lol..

    ReplyDelete
  18. so far so good!can't wait to see the finished product

    ReplyDelete