Sunday, May 29, 2011

1950's Linoleum Tiles



These are so cool. 40 tiles, just enough for my small entrance way. The original tiles need to be replaced. They are nothing special so it's no loss...



But... Not quite the colors I want. I've seen one of my blogger friends get pink and white tiles in this type of pattern in her kitchen (who was that??), meaning they sell modern reproductions in different colors, so I think I will pass on these. Auction ended at $76.



But they sure are cool! My old bathroom floors were more like this color... A sort of light gray background with "stripes" of color, just like these..



I'm still waiting on the two chenille blankies. The seller showed me a tracking number, and they were mailed out May 12, expected arrival May 18. Well, they are not here. :( waaaa I wonder if they are lost forever??

Seller said she would check with her P.O. again, as it seems to indicate they are still sitting in her state. Bummer. Boo.


I have been busy working on a work project, so nothing fun to report! I wish I had more to say or photos to show! But I've been keeping up with as many of your blogs as possible, reading if not commenting.

I hope all my US friends have a very happy Memorial Day, and I salute my late Father and my Uncles who served in WWll... And all who served, are serving, and their families, big (((hugs))).



OH! Got my mid century German plant table, and I love it!! The seller forced a peg-joined joint apart in order to break it down for shipping, so I'll have to add some wood glue to get it back the way it was so I can put things on it, then I'll take a photo.

.
.

9 comments:

  1. I love that old lino, way better than the vinyl crap in ugly colours that covers 2/3 of my homes floors. Was it you Ranchie that mentioned about proper old lino being sanded back and re-waxed?? I can't remember, anyway, this looks like that stuff. International mail from US is the worst it's ever been lately, and it seems that your domestic mail is just as bad. Apparently its weather-related, just today I got 3 parcels that were paid for in March, its usually 7-10 days delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids looked at vintage-looking commercial vinyl tile when they renovated their kitchen, but they ultimately went with some very expensive textured 18" tile. I think they wish now they had stuck with their first instinct. The tile has been down less than 3 years, and two are already cracked. However, if you bought tile manufactured in the 50s, how could you be sure it didn't contain asbestos?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard that linoleum was so good because it had the design all the way through it. That was why it lasted forever. If it wore down, it looked the same. And, I don't think there was asbestos in linoleum, it is made with some type of petroleum product? I think. But, insulation was definitely made from asbestos. I love love love the look of that tile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My maternal grandparents had really cool tile in the basement of their 60s ranch house. It was black tile with multi-colored flecks in it. I LOVED that tile! We used to skate in their basement, my cousins and me. It was awesome. And it was always nice and cool down there. It's a good memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was a hard decision to pass these up. But they are tan in color in the background and... I dunno. I know they make modern repro designs in different colors of similar tile, maybe it was the fleck-print stuff. My original tiles are a 50's textured off-white tile, and those match everything. Too bad they are in such bad shape.

    I know older is more durable, but I'm not going to live forever anyway lol...

    Yes, ZSM, if you look at the tiles in the stack, looks like they have color all the way through!

    ReplyDelete
  6. TIoBM I remember almost every building floor having this type of tile... From school to doctors offices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched that auction go down! I love them, but I was too cheap to bid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol Me too, Susie O. Some days I just don't feel like jumping in the ring...

    ReplyDelete