Monday, May 30, 2011

1950's Fat Lava Ashtray



I have a bit of a 'thing" for fat lava. The ceramic ware with a glaze that "pops" and makes holes during the firing process. This ashtray is a good example:



See the holes? Looks like... Lava! (One of my degrees is in Geology, so it's a sort of side-interest as well).

Now most fat lava vases and such sell for a nice small investment, and as much as I love the stuff, I never can justify paying as much for a mid-century vase as I might for a vintage table, for example.



But because it was an ashtray, I snagged it for a song... $10.

Dana at Mid2Mod has caught the fat lava fever too. Please check out her blog. If you love mid-century, you will learn a lot from hers, not to mention, she is a wonderful person! She's got a mid-century shop in Texas, USA, and congrats to her, the business is doing very well! Good to hear. Now go check out her blog! Scoot!


By the way Dana, blogger is glitching again and I could not add a comment to your blog today. This happens once in a while where the comment window simply will not show up for me on random blogs.


So a nice small addition to my tiny fat lava collection! No smoking in the 1950's Atomic Ranch House, all ashtrays are for atmospheric looks only. :)
.
.

13 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a really neat effect. I'm thinking I could use some vintage ashtrays for all my bits and bobs which somehow cover every surface of my room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought they really were lava! Those are cool. Wonder how I missed them all these years. I will go and visit Dana! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some cool affordable boomerang ashtrays to be found, and the one's I got for my house were well worth it. They really scream "1950's"!!

    Zoot keep an eye out for lamps and vases with this kind of glaze. You could sell them in your etsy shop if you can pick them up cheap at yard sales and such.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the kind words! You're such a sweetheart. I love your fat lava ashtray, and you're right. I've caught the bug...LOL Thank goodness, so far anyway, we've found pieces at estate sales and auctions that we could afford. And, like you, I have ashtrays around for their mid-century goodness, even though I haven't smoked in 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last weekend I picked up quite the lamp at a local thrift. When doing research some people refer to them as Lava drip glaze. I will be posting a pic of it in my next blog post which I should really get done sometime this Century. LOL

    I love that ashtray it is gorgeous, and the price you got it for even better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I always love a 50s ashtray.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovin' the lava! Ash trays are too fun but never sure what to do with them. That one is 'smokin'. Yes, I said it and you can't make me unsay it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried to comment on your blog Helen, and I couldn't. Dumb blogger... :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's really neat. I've actually never heard of it. Interesting how the effect occurs. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never heard of fat lava, so it looks like readers might learn things from your own blog as well! The ashtray is fab, and I'm checking out your friend's blog right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you're having trouble commenting you need to use a different browser, like Google Chrome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm put off by the way google is forcing people to connect more and more, such as the email addy I was forced to assign to blogger in order to use it.

    I won't DL Chrome any time soon, unless I have no choice.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! Ahhhh, the good old days...when ashtrays were a piece of art decor in your home...the centerpiece on the coffee table...just the right gift for newlyweds!! :)

    ReplyDelete