Thursday, March 31, 2011

More Painting - Hall: During and After



The worst, most boring house renovation progression photos on the internet. Honestly, that's what I have!

Hall used to be a boring white, white, white. Now it's a pale butter yellow, with a light goldenrod trim. I had to remix the trim color myself, adding acrylic paint. It was too light, and, I've done it before. Good thing my old paints were still in great shape!

Walls painted, working on the trim color, and you can see where a very stupid 13 year old 1950's Atomic Ranch House lady painted her old room door with white semi gloss, and how it peeled off the door. Mostly. Looked like crap lol...

I was going to keep the doors in the hall way the original dark brown, but that would require so much more effort, (sand, stain, finish), that I decided painting the doors the same wall color was a better (read: easier) idea.




After!

Really brightened it up. I'm thrilled with the results, but people!! I'm going at a snails pace, here!! (I'm old, I have a crippled up back, and I have to work too).

The hall is so narrow, it was impossible to show all 6 doors.

At any rate, thought I'd post some progress photos. I know they are boring as heck, but it helps me to see some progress. So much work, so little to show!

I'll make some Googie style frames for the hall in green, I think. Put up some family photos.

Moving on to the master bed room next. Ho hum, but... Moving along!


Happy Thursday to all my blog friends!
.
.

22 comments:

  1. It does look nice and that's great progress! I know where you're coming from obviously I do the decorating alone and have to work, it sucks, that's why I gave myself a time frame last summer to do certain stuff, it certainly got me going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary, not much to show I'm afraid.

    STM, I used to be able to get so much more done! Now I work slower, but the summer heat is coming, so it's my goal to get the master bedroom and bathroom done before then. In a month, I hope, if all goes well and I can make the time between working. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is looking really nice.
    Don't be hard on yourself.. My Mother has said she wanted to paint the kitchen and 3 years later.. it is still not done. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. All progress is good, no matter how slow!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wall color and the trim look beautiful. You did a great job mixing the goldenrod. I really think I like the doors the wall color better than I would have liked them brown. It makes the hall look brighter and larger. Aren't you glad you didn't do all that sanding and staining and then decide that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Dana, I sure work hard and still so little to show... Yet.

    I'm trying sooo hard to keep the house as original as possible, but even I have my limits.

    Thankfully my folks never did any renovations, so it will be the same, but some things like the doors, and the floors, will have to change!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, looks great! I like the doors painted too, really is a lot brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah really - very exciting photo's...they were wonderfull..No really :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay to you for sharing. It does make it seem less lonely when you show your progress, doesn't it? Don't talk to me about mixing paint colours, it's the bane of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL. This is definitely the first hall painting project that I've seen online :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha ha! Yeah, so exciting I had to share it!

    Anyone who tells you home renovation is fun should be shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so much better, well done!!:) Not always easy to find the spririt and energy to pick up the paint brush, with everything else going on in our everyday life! Agree with Vintage Coconut here;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. aaaahhh it looks lovely i love yellow its such a warm happy colour. Enjoy your weekend, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boring? Never.

    This, of course, comes from a man who just posted about his wife getting a library card. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey that looks like you did a great job there! I looks tons better than what It looked like before. If I were painting a hallway I would totally paint some 70's shapes on it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lot of the home restoration progress stuff is so boring!

    I mean, I can't wait to get in the next room and start painting!

    Spackle the nail holes, trim the peeling wallpaper wrapped around the outside of the bathroom walls, spackle the edges of that, move heavy furniture, remove stuff from the room so I can move around in there, and mask, and paint!

    Gee, why am I not excited? lol...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great so far! It reminds me how badly our all-white walls need some love. Perhaps I'll be posting some painting pictures of my own before too long!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice, Dawn. It's like you brought it back to life. Have you ever thought about putting in new birch slab doors? The natural birch gives the place a warm feel. They are pretty reasoable at Home Depot.

    BTW...did you ever get the name of that green color I sent you that you asked about?

    Darin

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Darin, I don't think I did??

    Waiting to see another blog post from you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmmm...I sent it via message through here. I guess I messed up. Anyway, it's called Moss Print, and it's through the Behr brand at Home Depot #UL210-14.

    I have some other blogs started, but not finished, yet. Still working on them. I'm also in the middle of trying to recreate those 1950's desert scene paintings that were kind of simple and opaque. I want to start reproducing 50's wall hangings because there seems to not be any around hardly.

    ReplyDelete