Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Is It Too Early For Easter?



It's only TWO months away!!!

OK, I missed bringing out my few vintage Valentines, so got out the Easter stuff. I was curious to see if Mom still had this one pink egg she made.

Mom also used to have a pair of the nice white bunnies, but the late, and great cat Charlie got to goofing around in the living room one day, and knocked one off the shelf.



Aww sure do miss this guy. He was the sweetest most unassuming pet friend! I couldn't get mad at him, he was just curious and exploring like cats do.







At any rate, back around the 70's Mom started to make these decoupaged eggs. She used bits of wrapping paper and glued them to chicken eggs we prepared. They are "mid-century" if you count the 70's, I guess they are vintage too, but it's hard to think of things as "vintage" that I grew up with!

If you are that curious, click on the image for a larger view...








It was this pink styrofoam egg that got me wondering. I remember Mom making this way back, had to be the early 70's. It's simple: Pink headed pins, some white lace and plastic dove and flowers all covered with a varnish that's already turning tea-colored by age. But it charms the heck out of me now. I guess because she is gone and I attach all kinds of sentimentality to the things she made or had.






Back around the late 70's, early 80's they re-issued copies of these German cardboard eggs, and Mom bought these. I've seen them sold all over eBay as "antique". I'm sure they are re-issues like these. I'm sure most sellers may not know that either.

Well, except for the fact they always LOOK about 30 years old as opposed to 80 years old. Huh....







And some 1981 Enesco tin eggs. Whatever she had saved, I got out.

Nice and simple, I'm sure I have a few other things, but what the heck! Why not bring out the bunnies now! By Easter, I should have hundreds if they do what bunnies do haaa haaa....

And a HUGE thank you to my friend Vintage Christine who sent me an adorable sheet of puffy vintage style robot stickers!


So adorable! perfect with my other space stuff, and the space notebook she gave me. Thank you! I have my eye on a few more space things on eBay right now... Fingers crossed!


Happy Tuesday!
.
.

20 comments:

  1. I remember my mom having those cardboard and tin eggs! Knowing her she probably still does somewhere. *memories*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I love the decoupaged eggs. I am going to try and find some cheap plastic eggs and do this myself with some thin vintage material.
    The middle pink egg is gorgeous your mother did a very nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the eggs and grass pack up in a square priority mailing box. Easy to pack away, and space is at a premium for me, so I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's never too early! Love your site. I check it everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Utterly fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course not! It's never too early for holiday decor! Any time you say it's Easter time, it's Easter time! Now you can enjoy your Mom's cool stuff longer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow living in the US is hard work! I had no idea that people decorate for every holiday. We only do Christmas in the UK, it's very unusual to decorate your home for any other occasion, apart from a party!!

    Nice eggs though, your mum was a clever and creative lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those eggs so pretty i went through a faze of doing decopatch its a nice relaxing thing to do. dee x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such memories! Your mother's decoupaged eggs are gorgeous! What a great memory of her - she's still with you.

    The styrofoam embellished crafts really were big back then. A local thrift store in my area was just selling a whole slew of vintage Christmas ornament kits complete with styrofoam bases, pins, sequins and the like. I wouldn't be surprised if these made a resurgence in popularity in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when you write about your parents. The eggs and bunnies are great, but aren't you forgetting St. Patricks Day???? Glad you got the stickers. Charlie was a handsome fellow--and how's Chris doing these days?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the decoupaged eggs! No, I don't think it's too early either. We just bought a chocolate bunny and some M&M's for Olivia's easter basket last night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Jo!!

    lol STM. Decorating for holidays has been around forever, but when I was a kid, it was more about making construction paper bunnies. Stores mostly sold baskets and toys and candy for Easter. Maybe a few flat paper bunnies to hang on the wall, or honeycomb eggs to hang from thread.

    Now retailers offer more decorating "stuff" each holiday. It's about generating more money.

    Even Halloween used to be very modest. Now they sell all kinds of decorating and yard stuff to put up. Too bad fewer kids even go trick or treating any more...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wanda: I remember a Hobby store Mom used to buy these things at. Not kits, but the plastic birds and flowers and such. Back then you could buy spun cotton birds and chenille chicks and straw flowers and all kinds of fun stuff!

    Oh and they seemed to call it a hobby rather than crafting lol...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christine: St Patricks day isn't a big deal around here!

    Maybe a lack of Irish?

    Mom decorated every holiday, maybe that's why I do it now (I did it before, too).

    Chris is doing good thankfully, thanks for asking!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hiya Brittany... I bet holidays are more fun with young children. =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your mom's decoupage eggs are lovely! And so was your kitty Charlie.

    You make a good point about Hallowe'en. In fact it seems true for most holidays: the stores sell more and more crap for each holiday, yet less and less people seem to appreciate the true meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love love love Atomic art....like cazy! Those stickers are great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those eggs are lovely! Your mom was sure handy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've got me wanting to unpack the vintage Easter eggs I just thrifted. I'm trying to wait a couple weeks, but I feel my resolve slipping away... ;)

    ReplyDelete