Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentines Day



Happy Valentines Day from 1950's Atomic Ranch House!

I am moving some stuff around in anticipation of moving furniture etc. around, and while I had the vintage baby crib cleared off, I thought I'd put a few of my favorite hand sewn dolls Mom made in it. Snap a few photos before I have to move more stuff around.

Mom would literally hand stitch her dolls. Needle and thread. I tried to sew up as many as I could with my old machine, but didn't always have much time, so Mom would simply do it on her own. In her later years she had a condition which made her hands shake, sometimes very badly, so she could not use the machine. That didn't stop her!

This is a Victorian style button baby. So cute! The back of her head is sewn with all buttons. She made a pair of these, one for me and one for her. Tea-dyed cloth, sweet pink ribbons.






Victorian Rosie is the name of this one. Again, she made a pair, one for me and one for her. It's hard to tell, but Rosie has green wooden garden stakes as arms and legs, with roses wired to it, making her hands and feet. Velvet dress with rose leaves and trim. Pink ribbon hair.







A sweet baby cloth doll with pink hair. She made 3 of these, and 3 more in a larger size (for each of us kids). I love that you can see where she (or I, I forget) used a pencil to sketch the design to embroider the face.







OK, call me silly, but I thought they needed some dolly tea, so I set out the vintage strawberry doll tea set Mom and I got in Julian, a sweet little mountain resort area here in California, that had a lot of antique shops and such.

The set is quite small, it looks big here because it's in the front.



I hope all my fellow bloggers have a wonderful Valentine's Day!
.
.

18 comments:

  1. I really like that first doll pictured. :-)

    I had two sock dolls when I was a kid. They were made out of white socks, and had tightly woven yarn hair, Little House on the Prairie style dresses and bonnets, and drawn on faces. My mother bought them for me from the local Grange.

    I don't know what ever happened to them, but I wish I still had them, or could find something similar today.

    I was never seriously into dolls (too much of a tomboy), but I still had Barbie (and company), Chrissie and Tressie (the dolls that hair grew or shortened by way of pulling or turning a knob), and a few others, but those sock dolls were by far my favorite.

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those dolls are pieces of art; the embroidery on the faces is so adorable! The quality of those dolls is amazing, and to make them by hand! I could only dream of being that talented. I adore, adore, adore that tea set. I have several miniture tea sets from my childhood all packed away; been thinking of getting them out and having a good old fashioned tea party the way I used to. With coffee, instead of either hot water; or for special occasions, hot chocolate in cups that hold about a tablespoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carole, I wrote about the cloth doll Mom had as a kid: one her Mom made for her. She wanted nothing from her Moms estate except that old cloth doll named "Katy".

    Well, her older sister was always a witch to my Mom, and so lied to Mom and said she didn't find Katy in the wooden chest where Mom knew their own Mom had always kept Katy.

    I think she started to make cloth dolls after that, to try and make up for her lost Katy.

    Such a shame when people are so mean, to begrudge someone one small happiness. =(


    Brandi:

    Get out your tea sets!

    Mom bought a very nice set in a "Country Roses" pattern (for adults lol). One Valentine's Day I set a really nice table, and we used her special tea set for coffee. I bought a cake, some small candy. Nothing spectacular or "Martha Stewart" style, but I was so glad we used her set that one time.

    I keep meaning to use it on special days like today. If you keep things forever packed away for that "special day", those days never come, and what a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, that's so sweet to show your Mom's handiwork! I like how she made two of each doll, one for both of you. Very sweet. Happy V-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous dolls! I have been planning on making a couple ragdolls myself, now they will be NO WHERE as beautiful as these.. but I am going to try a outline on fabric sew together doll and see how I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice post! Your Mom did very good work and I can 'feel' your pride in her. What a a great Valentine's tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Utah Oilfield TrashFebruary 14, 2011 at 3:28 PM

    I love the tea set! My dad gave my 3 year-old daughter a tea set that belonged to his older sister. She loves to have tea parties with anyone who is willing. I kind of choked the other day when I found a set similar on ebay---turns out to be Hazel Atlas from the '40s. Needless to say, we watch her a little more closely with it.
    Happy Valentines Day to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh I think Mom was heartbroken that I never shared her love for dolls like she did. No, I wanted model horses lol...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Valentine's Day. I love the tea set and the dolls are just darling.

    Deanna :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey hey Utah, thanks and a Happy Valentines Day to you! Lucky daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love and miss Julian so much! Hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are very sweet! Thanks, it makes me feel good that people treasure their family's things. Happy Valentines!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet post! Your mother must have been a remarkable woman.

    ReplyDelete
  14. O My what a super clever mum you have those dolls are amazing i love them, beautiful photos and i love the way you have set out the tea set so cute ;-) I love the little doll in green and the one in pink, what wonderful memories you have and magical treasures to keep. a wonderful post, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love your dolls, especially since they're so special to you. My mom could sew but never to my knowledge made anything like that, although she did get into crafts. I do have two china head dolls that belonged to HER mother. And what happened to Julian??????

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhh I know I miss my Mom terribly, especially on days like holidays or whatever Valentine's Day is... We used to do a little something, or get candy and cards to exchange. Even my so called best friend didn't bother to call and wish me a Happy Valentine's Day. Thank goodness we only ever remained friends!!!

    And yeah, who the heck is Julian? Assange? Childs? Berkowitz? lol...

    ReplyDelete