Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Nostalgia of Our Childhood



For those of us past, say, 40 years old, it's fun to remember the "simple" days of our childhood. At least it is for me.

By the way, these photos were nabbed off the internet. I'm too lazy (busy, actually) to dig out and photograph the few I do have lol).



Remember when you were a kid, and adults used to tell you to "enjoy life while you are a kid"?


I remember thinking back then, there must be some secret to being a kid that was supposed to make you happy and I was missing it? I wanted to know what it was, but had to wait until I was much older to understand.



I have two dear friends and count myself fortunate to have so many. Making close friends was never easy for me as I never seemed to be able to relate to too many people in a close way (too many "friends" came and went in my life, and that always made me sad. I don't know why it worked out that way, I tried to stay friends with them all. Such is life).



But one of my two dear friends and I often talk about the fun we had when we were kids.


Oh at the time, I don't recall it being super fantastic. As I said, I tried to understand why adults kept telling me to enjoy it, but it didn't seem as charming or simple until several decades slipped by.


I wonder why that is? Do we forget how hard it is to be a kid as we get older?



At any rate, I was horse crazy as a kid. Just loved them, and somehow Mom got me a pony one year. It was one of the best things she ever got me, second was the doll house she had made for me. I miss the joy I felt simply being able to hang out at the horse corral down the street (it's now a retirement community, horses long gone).

Gee I remember having so much fun being around horses as a kid!



There used to be an old fashioned roller rink in my town, complete with old organ music and an announcer who would announce "Ladies choice now, ladies choice" or whatever.

That building became a social services office when the new rink with rock music was built (that's long gone now too).





Or the fun we used to have at the small local lake, riding the old wooden motor boats around the murky green water, and the small circus or carnival rides they had there, complete with a calliope and merry go round and a Tilt A Whirl ride.



My friend and I indulge in these fond childhood memories as an escape to the daily grind of life as an adult. What happened to the fun lazy days we enjoyed as kids?



Oops this last photo IS mine, found on google from a long ago post. My poor vintage cooler has seen better days, but then again, so has my old tired body ha ha ha.



You don't have to be over 40 to know what I am talking about, but the older you get, the more meaning these memories have.


What fond childhood memories do you indulge in?
.
.

15 comments:

  1. Funny, I just did a post about the same topic today:) Childhood memories! I especially love my childhood memories from our summer place in south of Norway.. Such a great, simple and joyful time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a very happy childhood though still wouldn't return to it for the world! I do think we forget the reality of childhood and look back more fondly as we get older.

    When I think of it properly it was a time when I had to do as I was told - something which I'm not very good at even at 44!, you didn't have choice, you never decided what you want to eat, drink or any of that. You had to come home at a certain time or got in trouble.

    Nope it's not for me, sometimes I don't like all the decision making and responsibility of adulthood but lack of responsibility as a kid meant also lack of decision making!

    Too deep? sorry he he!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of great childhood memories, my family was eclectic to say the least! I think one of the coolest things we did was have outdoor movies. My dad would set up a projector in the summer and show movies on the side of the house. One year we had an old school bus/camper conversion in the backyard. I remember sitting high off the ground with one of our neighborhood friends on the hood of that bus, wrapped up in blankets watching the Adventures of Sinbad & the 7 Seas! I bet not too many kids, if any have a memory like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a wonderful childhood, and frequently think about and long for it! We lived in rural from when I was 10 until I was 16, and those were my happiest years! In our nearest town (where I also went to school, 2 hours daily by bus)the roller skating rink was also the cinema,and I had a ball there whenever I could.
    The 70's/early 80's were good to me!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a horrible, sad, lonely childhood and I am just happy that my son will look back at HIS childhood with memories as fond as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must be broken.. Because even though I am a decade away from 40.. I always love reminiscing on my childhood.
    Luckily I had parents who liked camping & going on trips. Some of my favorite memories are the trips we would go on to Seaside Oregon.
    I reside in Canada and I always loved going down to the states. I also remember how scared I was at the border crossing. LOL
    I never quite understood what it was all about. But I remember my Father telling us to behave before getting up to the checkpoint. I guess I was scared if I was bad they would take me away and not let me go to the States with my family. Hahaha I don't have the Ocean near me, but it is one of my favorite places. I plan to move closer to it before I have children. That way I can enjoy a favorite of mine and they will have many memories of it also. Hopefully they like it as much as I do.

    Lovely Post =)
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful post, i was very lucky and had a lovely childhood to i grow up in the country in a tiny village. Even though i was in and out of hospital due to my bad hips through most of it. I still played in the fields, went to disco's etc with my friends, happy memories we treasure. Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol Trixie, mine did a whole lot of sucking, but I refuse to wallow in that part, so remember the little good bits.=)

    Thanks all for sharing. Love hearing about those of you who had wonderful childhoods. Mine really did have a lot of "sucked" to it. lol... Oh well.

    I was looking at more old family photos today, I must get those in nice boxes or albums or something~~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Along this same vein, I posted pictures of myself today. lol

    It's funny, because I don't remember my early childhood, but I suppose that's why mothers often document our lives in photos.

    My childhood wasn't all that care free, and though I have a few good memories, sadly, the difficult times far outweigh.

    Maybe that's why I still sometimes act like a kid. I'm trying to make up for lost time. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was born in 1948, so I grew up in the 50s and 60s. I'm from a small family. Both my parents were only children, and I only had one sibling, so we were all very close. My grandparents indulged us. I got my first pony when I was about 3. My grandfather raised horses, so I was showing Tennessee Walking Horses by the time I was 12.

    I also have great memories about the Mickey Mouse Club, Sky King, and Spin and Marty...about biking with my friends, roller skating all around the neighborhood, hula hooping, listening to rock and roll music on my pink plastic radio, buying my favorite 45s for $1...and about the gorgeous clothes my mom and grandmother made for my first Revlon doll and the gorgeous wooden dollhouse furniture one of my grandmother's friends gave to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the ones you said, and more! I always wanted a horse, so...bad..., but never had one. I used to dream that I was riding my bike, then it would turn into a horse, then I'd wake up and be so sad! Zootsuitmama

    ReplyDelete
  12. The only two things I remember NOT liking about kidhood were school and getting shots at the Docter's office. Otherwise I didn't want to grow up at all. It was the most shocking event for me when I was 5-years old to learn that EVERYONE grows older... I was a little naive hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a fascinating blog. I'm truly happy I've found this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just miss not having to worry about paying bills.. or..?? ANYTHING. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know...I miss the not having a whole lot of responsibilities thing; but I really enjoy being an adult a lot more than being a kid. My parents were fond of saying, "When you're an adult you can do whatever you want, eat whatever you want, buy whatever you want, etc." My parents were frugal, smart, good people. But they are so different than I am.

    I enjoy being 35 going on 36. I love having my own money. I really love buying my own clothes and not having to beg for anything. (Not that my parents didn't buy me clothes, it's just that they bought me the clothes that they would have worn if they were me and not necessarily stuff I completely liked).

    On the other hand, I had some good times. We had this great tree climbing club when I was in elementary school. These two trees reached out to each other and we'd dare each other to climb the tree and cross over the branches. At one point there was nothing to hold on to but air and it was terrifying but we'd do it again and again and again.

    I miss my 6th grade girlfriends, Katie and Cheryl, and how we'd jump on the bus and go downtown Weisbaden and "shop". It was a city and we were city girls having a good time.

    But I won't lie: I don't miss my teenage years and I don't remember too much from before 6th grade. Maybe that's why I don't have too much nostalgia for being a kid.

    ReplyDelete