Saturday, December 11, 2010

Pair 1950s Eames Spaghetti Globe Lamps



Back in July, I featured a seller who had these cool auction photos of mid-century stuff. He was selling several things, and combined them into great looking auction photos, this "eyeball" or globe lamp being one of them.

I did write him a nice note about my post, he wrote me back... I replied... And never heard from him again! Harrumpf! People just don't appreciate free advertising these days, do they? Well, I did not mention his eBay name, just the auction links, which now redirect to different auctions, so no more free advertising regardless.

At any rate, that one lamp sold for some ridiculous price... I forget what... Over $60, and for me, a lamp like that wasn't worth it when you can get super cool atomic lamps for less, like this one:




Sooooo, because I am chained to this computer for longer hours than a Chinese sweatshop worker, I get to do comprehensive eBay searches. Hey, I have to do something to keep my sanity, right?


Soooo I stumbled upon this PAIR of the same lamps the other day:







And because the seller "mis"-identified them as "Christmas spotlights", I was able to snag them... For cheap! WAY less than the single one sold for! Yippee!

My intention is to use them to illuminate my big artworks I plan on making for the living room walls, since I don't have recessed ceiling lights. Gotta have a plan for everything I buy, that way I don't have a lot of things I can't use. Remember, I was raised by parents who grew up during the Great Depression, so that was always front in my mind. Well, Mom loved to go crazy buying things she loved, but what the heck, SHE had gone without when she was a kid, so I indulged her. She earned it!


Annnnnnd I want to give a big THANK YOU to our friend zootsuitmama, who gave everyone a gift for her last Giveaway! I mentioned I loved the Halloween blowmolds, and she generously gave me a darling Jack-O-Lantern for my window, and a charming scarecrow face for my Fall decorations!


I have made the link to the "Make New Friends, Share Your Blog" permanent on the right and towards the top of this text, in hopes folks continue to add their blogs, and come back to visit and make new blog friends. I like to help people make new friends!!

Happy Saturday, wow, this was a long post!!
.
.

13 comments:

  1. Great lamps Ranchie! The first one, does it have a different bulb size to the subsequent ones you've shown? And is the inside of the shade coloured? (It looks yellow).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the seller used a standard bulb in the first one, the pair I got, have spotlight bulbs, both types still available in my local store. =)

    And if these lights were used by their former owners just for Christmas, I think the bulbs are vintage, too lol..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that swirl shaded lamp!!! Nice.
    Good buy on those 'eyeball' lamps!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still love that second lamp you posted. I cannot wait to see your house when you're all done with it, Miss A.

    Hugs and love to you and your fur babies...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! Feels great when you snag a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice one - back in form, I see.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. those are the coolest lights ever!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great eyeball lamps! What a wonderful find. I can't wait to see the art you're going to make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. O,fantastique!!!! Glorious lamps,G has palpitated.......xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you (LOVE the eyeball lamps) for getting such a great find for less! See, it pays to be chained to your computer for hours on end!
    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh don't you just love people who list things wrong, I do! Great lamps!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh good job on those lamps! They are so kewl!

    ReplyDelete