Sunday, December 19, 2010

1970's Design Is Not Mid-Century

I've had this debate on my blog before: Are designs and styles from the very late 1960's through the 1970's "mid-century?"

This is a sort of tongue-in-cheek post, not to be taken too seriously...

I see these interior photos labeled as "mid-century" and I think to myself: No, that's 3/4 century, nothing like mid or 1950's".

Characteristic colors of harvest gold, avocado green, bright orange, brown, yellow... Florals, basketweave designs, the big stripes of color...

Moulded plastics became popular.

And ferns made a comeback... Is that kid being a perv and looking up that gals mini skirt?!

Brown, orange and avocado green.

I'm not even sure why, but owls were really popular. In the 70's, not the 50's.

These metal "things", "Jere" were popular. People, look closely, those are horse shoe nails welded to metal squares. When I was a kid, I thought it was the stupidest thing in the world to put on someone's wall. Welded horseshoe nails??!!

Seagulls were popular too. Anyone else remember why? Because of that book: "Johnathan Livingston Seagull". I read it, I think it was a sort of "feel good" book. It was this "trendy trend" that told everyone who came to your house: "I read that book too!"

So I see other bloggers calling this "vintage" and "mid-century" and it always gave me an uneasy feeling.

And then one day it occurred to me:

Seeing this era of stuff called "vintage" or "mid-century" meant that the things I grew up with made ME old too!!

Now my folks were older when I was born, our home really was 1950's even then. Dad listened to 1940's Big Band music, so the red and gold foil flocked wallpaper and green peacock chenille bedspreads I saw in my friends' homes were alien to me back then, too.

But gee, if folks are calling what I grew up with, old, that means, hey, I am old too!!

So there you have it. The reason why I resist calling this era of 1970's design old!!

A huge thank you to all of you who shared your "bad family" experiences in my last post. I was surprised so many experienced the same thing. Sometimes you feel like you are the only one.

At any rate, I hope all of my blogger friends are enjoying their holiday season, and are ready for Santa!