Friday, November 5, 2010

Forrest J. Ackerman, Norvell Page, Pulp Fiction and Science Fiction Writer, and My Aunt



I discovered a comment on my blog post I made earlier this year, about the long time correspondence my Aunt had with the classic Science Fiction and pulp fiction writers Forrest J. Ackerman and Norvell Page, and learned this:


Chris Kalb said...
The story of Virginia is well known in pulp fandom. An old fanzine, Xenophile, dedicated an issue to her and it will interest you to know that it includes an interview with her, along with reproductions of much of her correspondence. For my Spider website I myself retyped one very significant letter that she got from Norvell Page, author of Volunteer Corpse Brigade, which you can read HERE.





And the magazine where my Mom's family was "immortalized" in a story. Because my Aunt wrote to these writers and became their friends, one used our families' names in a 1941 Spider story, pictured here.



I knew my Aunt had written to Ackerman, but I didn't know this was "known" among fans.

I emailed Chris and asked him how "well known" this was. I am curious, and will let you all know if he replies.


The funny thing is, I have a whole different perspective about my Aunt, knowing her through my own Mom, and my interaction with her.

Ahh but I will leave that for another time! lol...

Happy Friday all my good blog friends!!
.
.