Saturday, October 23, 2010

Vintage 1950's Mid-Century Halloween Trick or Treat Bags



I love these large "lots" of vintage Halloween treat bags. These are the small bags, made to stuff a few pieces of precious candy into for parties or Trick or Treat.

(These are NOT mine, but can be found currently for sale, on eBay).



I remember the thrill of getting one of these while Trick or Treating. Not just one piece of candy, but a whole cute little bag of candy!!

Well, it was a big deal for me, I'm sure I am not alone!

(Click on images to see a larger version of these charmers).





And of course, we need a larger bag to fill up with the goodies we got while making our way around neighborhoods after dark, on that special night...



I was pleasantly surprised to find vintage Trick or Treat bags are quite affordable on places like eBay.



The history of Trick or Treating goes way back, to All Souls Day parades in England. During the festivities, poor citizens would beg for food and families would give them pastries called "soul cakes" in return for their promise to pray for the family's dead relatives.




Trick or Treating Facts:

*Kids’ favorite candy stops are homes that offer “anything made with chocolate” (68 percent) followed by lollipops (9 percent), gummy candy (7 percent) and bubble gum or chewing gum (7 percent). (Reported by National Confectioners Association)

*The National Confectioners Association reported in 2005 that 80 percent of adults in America planned to give out candy to trick-or-treaters, and that 93 percent of children planned to go trick-or-treating.

*For its historic neighborhood gatherings and holiday spirit, National Confectioners Association also crowned Boston the 2006 Trick-or-Treat Capital of the United States.

*Kids' least favorite items to get in their trick-or-treat bags were fruit and salty snacks like chips and pretzels.




How many of you have or collect vintage Halloween things?

Happy Saturday!!
.
.

10 comments:

  1. WOW! I absolutely LOVE this collection. I think I have two - and they aren't even very old. I never see the. Thank you for showing these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved getting a little bag of candy instead of handfuls of whatever. :) You can also never go wrong with the good ol' pumpkin bucket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those bags are AWSOME!! I wasn't allowed to trick or treat when I was little. =( One Halloween I snuck to my neighbors and said "trick or treat" and got a chocolate bar I swear that was an exciting moment in my life. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the one with the name/address tag on it.

    "Oh, mom, I lost my bag of candy!"

    "Don't worry, son. You're name's right on it. I'm sure someone will find it and get it back to you right away!"

    BTW...GREAT post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I hope you don't mind, but I shared this on my facebook page. Hope it gets you a bit more traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh these are so much fun. We didn't have anythign like this when I was growing up in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot all about those little bags! Yes, it was a treat to get one of those filled up with 'kisses'. Nice memories. Thanks.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those gorgeous bags! They would look so incredible framed in a group. I am going to fight the urge to collect them though...

    I have very few Halloween things as I've found them so much more expensive and harder to get than Christmas things - so Christmas wins! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm amazed that anyone saved these! That's so cool... I remember them vividly.

    ReplyDelete