Thursday, October 21, 2010

Happy Halloween from 1950's Atomic Ranch House


OK, so it's a little early, but I got the opportunity to pull just a few of my Halloween things out from the over-packed hall closet which contains most all of my holiday decorations.

So cheerful! The ceramic pumpkin I got at the Thrift store years ago. Chipping a bit, I gave it a clear gloss to keep it from chipping more, and he comes out every year.





My fireplace apron houses my 1950's slate table, 1950's kinetic atomic particle sculpture (hard to see - click on image if you want to see a larger photo), but more importantly, more of my wonderful Fall and Halloween decorations! I love my plastic popcorn Jack O Lanterns as I had one when I was a kid. Other than a Ouija board, that's the extent of my vintage Halloween, because as much as I love LOVE Halloween, I am unable to afford to outbid other collectors.

Not sure if I will be able to get more decorations out. One lesson I learned: it's always better to get fewer, bigger things than a lot of small things. Well, I bought a lot of small things before I learned that lesson, which is why the holiday closet is so full! That's on my list of things to reorganize.


At any rate, how are all my good blogger friends doing?

Are you ready for Halloween yet?

What are your plans?
.
.

16 comments:

  1. I couldn't see anything else besides your fabulous black lamps. Love them!
    I was late getting my Halloween decorations up this year - haven't even tried to take any pictures yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I brightened the photo, I can see it ok on my computer lol...

    It's a dark day, so light in the living room is low.

    I just got these out yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't really 'do' Halloween like you guys do but I like your display!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm practically going to skip over Halloween to get to the Xmas holidays when I try to decorate more. Of course we get to have Mardi Gras so that's a whole 'nother decorating time down here, too. It's just ridiculous what people ask for vintage Halloween stuff but if other people will pay, why not? Your stuff looks GREAT! I think the ceramic punkin is crying because you haven't been blogging enough (but I know, you've been BUSY). Hugs to you, my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love the popcorn jack o lanterns! You've inspired me...I'm going to make something like that with my kids, though using tissue paper, glue and a pencil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But but but I heard they were celebrating Halloween in New Zealand back in the late 1980's when my late brother went in October, so doesn't Australia celebrate it too? =O

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha Christine... I might as well start getting out all my Christmas stuff already. I promised myself I would decorate each holiday, after Moms tradition, starting with Halloween this year.

    I have more Christmas stuff than Halloween, so much more will be displayed!


    Shannon, I remember making those tissue paper artworks when I was a kid... What fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, the kinetic sculpture is quite something!

    ReplyDelete
  9. how precious your decorations are!! I love that you incorporated your bench, lamps and sculptures! devine! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your decorations they are great. I still have my Honeycomb turkey decoration on the dining room table!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ack! You reminded me, I have virtually no Thanksgiving decorations, except the Fall leaves! Oh well, they will have to do!

    Thanks everyone, for your comments! As you can see, I went all out decorating ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been thinking about the gravel art. Why not use sea shells.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! On the link shared by Diving Dame, it mentions crushed glass too. I imagine just about anything can be used, from marbles to metal things, as long as it can be glued to the canvas.

    In fact, it could be an Assemblage/Altered Art/Mixed Media work. Very cool idea, Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey! That looks great, esp. the black lamps with the orange! I tend to overdo, like we know. I think it's trying to hold onto the fun and excitement of days gone by. I always feel a big letdown after a holiday, so I've tried to do more, like go on the haunted tour of the old jail in Independence Missouri, a carriage ride to all the haunted spots, etc. when I can. We still have the Halloween parade at the "square" ! Then, when the holiday's over, I don't feel like I didn't acknowledge the holiday and don't feel so sad. Zootsuitmama

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hiya ZSM! Wow, I thought I was the only one who felt "let down" after a holiday! I love your idea of doing things to enjoy it more. I did not decorate for the past few years due to the losses I experienced (I didn't feel like celebrating), but swore this year, I would.

    But it still feels a bit... Empty somehow. When I get more free time, I will start doing more holiday things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oohh i love those lamps! and the plastic popcorn pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete