Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sputnik, Calyx and Pottery - And A 1957 Airfloat Flagship


Yesterday was a holiday, and usually that means some good deals on eBay while folks are out having BBQs or whatever it is they are doing.

So, being the hard-working entrepreneur I am, I was, of course, working yesterday. And since I work so darn hard (I really do) and because I usually have time to comb through a lot of searches on eBay, I thought I'd give it a go.

Above is a 'Sputnik Remembrance' clock. The red thing it the hour part, the little gold ball on the outside of the earth map globe is Sputnik. I think Sputnik is the minute hand part.

The clock is deep and resembles a dashboard dial or something.

Anyways, this will go in my office space room.





I got a pair of these Calyx pattern chair cushions. Well, they are cushion COVERS which the seller didn't make clear until I saw a "question from buyer" as I was emailing for the combined invoice.

Still, a good deal, I'll simply buy a couple inserts to fit. (Grumbles at seller for photographing them with stuffing and NOT making it clear).






I expanded my unknown pottery makers of the 1950's to include bowls lol. This one is dated "1954" and has age wear on the bottom, so looks like the real deal. I know, you are rolling your eyes at this one. I think I paid $1 for it.


All cheap cheap cheap. I passed on a cool clock that didn't work and needed a battery operated replacement housing on the back when my $13 bid was dwarfed by a $51 bid. No thanks!

That orange clock in my prior post sold for $280.




It's a DARN good thing I didn't see this 1957 Airfloat Flagship Trailer for sale until an hour before the end of the auction. Located within driving distance, it sold for only $2,700!

But this is 1950's Atomic RANCH HOUSE, not 1950's Atomic Trailer! I need another project like I need a hole in my freakin' head!

I can just see the look on my neighbors' faces as I have this roll up to my house. They already think me eccentric, this would only confirm it.

Check this out:











Soooweet. But NO NO NO I had to let it pass!


I hope everyone had a good weekend!
.
.

25 comments:

  1. The caravan is amazing, we don't have anything like that here (within vintage I mean). What I don't get, is, if you call a caravan a trailer, what do you call an actual trailer?? Sorry I know I'm getting off topic here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A caravan (here) means a bunch of them lol... A trailer is a single one.

    Damn, see that wonderful mellow wood interior? Those cabinet handles match the one's I have here in my kitchen.

    Gee I'm glad I didn't see this days before, because if I did, I would have taken a look at it, fallen in love with it, and be arranging to have it parked in my back yard.

    NO NO NO I can't take on another project!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always find so many great things. I hardly everrr do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is sooo sweet and so cheap, I have to confess I never understand the trailer name either, it's caravan in the UK too, but whatever it's called that is sooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it's like calling a car trunk a "boot". Just different terms for different things. But boy did I learn my lesson on the different meanings to the word "Fanny" lol......

    ReplyDelete
  6. british:
    Lift = elevator
    Flat = apartment

    american:
    Trailer = mobile home
    pissed = angry

    Just things I've picked up recently. LOL. NOW, back to your GORGEOUSLY awesome finds, Miss! Shooooooooot, you are kicking my ass with the deals you've found! AWESOME cushions!

    And... I almost fainted when I saw the trailer. OMG.

    Hello, Miss A! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. Please remind me of your e-mail... I lost it, dagnabit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya Darlene, yeah, my international friends on chat boards have taught me all kinds of words and terms and such.

    Nah, passing up a whole lot of "stuff" lately, just getting things I really NEED, or things I am sure I can use.

    And as much as I love LOVE that trailer, no way, nuh huh, not gonna happen lol...

    ReplyDelete
  9. por favor... your e-mail, lovey...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg...I would have loved that trailer!! We've been looking at new Airstream trailers, and they don't come cheap. That trailer you picture looks to be in such good condition!

    I want a camper or trailer so badly. I used to want a small getaway cottage at the coast, now I want a means to go anywhere I want, and a trailer/camper would afford that luxury. Sadly, not in the budget for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy crow! That trailer sure is something! I love that little secretary/hutch thing the trailer's rockin'. I want one for my own house LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The way I've been eBaying lately had I seen that trailer the next thing I would've done was head out the door in the pickup to drive to CA to pick it up--and I could've met you, too! Then when I got home I would've packed up all my clothes and stuff and began life as a single gal living in a cool trailer because hubby would've seriously divorced me! Love all your actual purchases--I have GOT to start looking at stuff other than glass and Pyrex...

    ReplyDelete
  13. MmmmHmmmm yeah, like I said, glad I didn't have time to go see that trailer!

    My neighbors would have forced me out of my house if I had this hauled to my place. I would have had to pack it all up and go on the road too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christine, beware when you expand your searches. I just did, and now I am trapped, TRAPPED into maybe buying something I normally wouldn't get lol...

    Pics to come, if I wind up getting these things.......

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can I borrow your camper so I can run away from home?

    ReplyDelete
  16. okay, that camper is toooooo cool. how sweet that kitchen looks! i agree with the comment above - i wouldn't mind running away from home in that thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That trailer!! Wow! I'd live in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, you are smart doing the eBay while folks are off Labor Day-ing! That trailer seems like quite the steal. You showed great restraint.

    I'm glad that Chris is doing better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Sputnick Remembrance clock is so cool. I totally want it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the cushions. How in the world could one pass up a trailer/caravan/dream home like that? That is a thing of beauty for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  21. GREAT BLOG! I'm a new follower, and checking out the archives. You could have lived like Lucy & Desi in the Long Trailer, with that find!!!

    ReplyDelete