Thursday, September 16, 2010

Did You See It Happen!? Apollo 11 - Where Were You In 1969?



Where were you July 20, 1969? Did you get to see the first man walk on the moon?



We take space travel for granted these days we do it so often. But back in 1969 this was a big deal... A HUGE deal. The Soviets got the first man in orbit, but it was the challenge of the nation's pride to have the first man on the moon.



It wasn't just a big deal in America, the whole world watched this event. It was a time of excitement, and due to the Viet Nam war, the nation needed the moral boost, and we did it!




I just finished watching a wonderful video on this subject, with exceptional interviews of the astronauts and what their thoughts were at the time.

Called In The Shadow of the Moon, you can easily rent it from Netflix, I imagine it's on cable, or take the time to watch it for free on youtube. Part 1:



Click HERE for the link to the first part of In The Shadow of the Moon on youtube and to watch all parts of this wonderful documentary.


Were you lucky enough to see this happen live? What do you remember about it? Do you remember the excitement of the world at the time? Incredible!
.
.

14 comments:

  1. Well I was only 3 so don't remember it, but I do think it's still amazing to this day! I suspect some of your readers weren't even born, eeek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. We were playing in the front yard and my neighbors father called us in. We were only 8 (sorry, 8 was 8 back then), but we knew they were spacemen on the moon. It was cool to watch, and even cooler to see Walter Cronkite giggle.

    As a girl, I wouldn't say that we noticed NASA so much as we noticed rocket toys, astronaut toys, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I was 4 years old sitting in front of our Zenith console TV with my dad. I remember sensing the importance of it and I remember him answering the 1000 questions that a 4 year old asks. I felt happy and excited about what I was looking at on the TV. And I felt safe there in my childhood pink atomic ranch home in Lakewood, CA.
    Those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't born yet, but my parents got engaged that day so I was en route!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg, ours was/is a pink atomic ranch house in southern CA too! lol... Only painted once, the original pink peeks out from under the new color.

    Gee it sure is great to relive this stuff. It was an amazing time in history...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I remember where I was in '69.....crowded around the TV with the rest of my family. It seemed a little unreal and fake at first....hard to believe someone was really on the moon. And we were witnessing it live on TV!!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, I was still in my playpen and to young to remember. Cool post though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it was such an amazing time! The excitement of the world afterwards when people of all nations said "WE did it", not "you americans did it". There was a feeling of unity we haven't felt since then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 19 and very excited about the fact I was about to become a student at the University of Alabama but I certainly remember all the hooplah and that "one step for mankind" stuff. I must disagree with you (which is rare!) on your statement that "there was a feeling of unity we haven't felt since then" since the world felt a real kinship with us on September 11, 2001. And then of course we totally proceeded to make everyone hate us soon after, obliterating, once again, that good will.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember it totally! I too was sitting in my mom and dadS living room, I was 14, and watching on their console TV. Wish it woulda been a pink atomic ranch, more like Early American style. Shoot, I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis. Hope Madmen lasts long enough to feature 1969. Zootsuitmama

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wasn't born for another 16 years. But I have watched all the documentaries that have been on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had most of the worlds sympathy on 9/11 Christine, it was a different "coming together", not of triumph but tragedy.

    Yes! I remember the Cuban Missile crisis too. One year a friend dressed up as Fidel Castro for Halloween, that was a scary costume!

    Twinklez, it really was an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember it well. I was13 and at home in my parents 50's ranch house. We watched it with my grandfather, who kept dozing off during the broadcast!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was in the middle of Peace Corps training in Ghana. We heard the "play by play" on VOA.

    To this day, some Ghanaians don't believe we really went to the moon. After all, none of them saw it happening.

    ReplyDelete