Sunday, August 22, 2010

Gee... I Didn't Realize How Many eBay Purchases Have Been Less Than Perfect

I got to thinking about the eBay buying disappointments the other day. And as I thought about it more and more, I realized how MANY I have had.

Case in point (above) item mailed in original vintage box.

Stool not as white as pictured.

Advertised as "Eames 1960 from sellers personal collection" turned out to be 2009 Pier One Import.

Thought this was red and black and white, and it turned out to be red and GREEN and white.

After closer inspection, a couple of the "hoops" on this atomic world clock had been broken. OK, NOW I can see it at the top in the photo. Seller did NOT disclose.

The stinky musty chair, still stinks. Will try bleach water today.

This advertised as pink lampshade........

Turned out to be purple. Purple! Who had purple lamps in the 50's?

The Fallout Shelter sign I almost had to destroy to get out of the package.

This was also mailed in the original box, tho paper was wrapped around it first. The box still got crushed within an inch of it's life.

This lamp worked... For the first two hours. Now it needs to be rewired.

I love this radio, I really do, but later I discovered the speaker inside floating around and comes in view of the screen unless you jiggle it to the left. Maybe if I open it up I can fix it. =(

This vintage magazine rack painted fresh black. OK, cool, but that paint scratches off with the least bit of rub.

How can I forget the crushed lampshade and the bitter seller experience?

Great lamp, but it arrived chipped around the sides of the base and plaster dust in the wrapping. I'll have to try to find a shallow gold dish to set it in to hide the chipping. Sigh.

Too many "handmade studio pottery" vases turned out to be manufactured or a high gloss when the photo showed a matt finish, which is what I was looking for.

Arrived broken, but at least the seller was nice and refunded.

The color of this turned out to be a very strange green. Thought it was white and the seller just took a bad photo.

Great deal, but one of the bolts was so rusted, I can't get it to tighten, so it's not quite put together. Home Depot trip in the future.

Looks black, pink and blue, but it's far more faded than the photos show. It's gray. I wanted black.

This lamp arrived with both light sockets hanging by their wires and almost no way to fix them because two screws were missing. Still are.

Worked for a week, needs rewiring.

It's enough to make me want to all but stop supporting eBay sellers! I'm not picky or uptight about things, really. I like honest wear and don't mind some scuffs and such. But all of these things are not related to that at all.

I know our dear Vintage Christine has had her share of issues too, so I'm not special this way lol. But I've pretty much bought all the things I need (except for a very few, such as curtains for two more rooms) but gee, after looking over all the things that didn't arrive as expected, it sure doesn't make me smile. =(

I bet many of you have had a lot of the same experiences, haven't you? And this isn't even every bad eBay experience I've had over the past 10+ years on eBay!

Ahh well, I'll be much more cautious in the future.

Happy Sunday!