Sunday, July 25, 2010

World Time Clock



Thanks to one of my smart fellow bloggers/readers, you have helped me to learn that this item I snagged on eBay, is a model of a real clock!



I'd never heard of it, which is strange.



But now I know:

The World Time Clock is one of the Alexanderplatz's most well-known features. It was constructed in 1969 as part of the square's redevelopment and has become a popular meeting point.

Weighing 16 tonnes and 10 metres tall, it features a revolving cylinder with the world's 24 time zones bearing the names of major cities in each zone. The mechanism constructed in a way which enables the current time in each zone to be read.

The clock is topped by a simplified model of the solar system, which revolves once a minute.



And the actual world time clock located in Berlin! The top part rotates.






I have the smartest and best followers in the world! Thank you!

And thank you everyone for all of your tips and tricks and suggestions about getting the musty smell from my new chair. I will let you know what I try, and what works. =)
.
.

2 comments:

  1. That just makes it even cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fascinating. Have just found your site and I'm going to love it..:)

    ReplyDelete