Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mid-Century Christmas in July



Ok people, this is the time to get good deals on eBay, on holiday stuff off season! If you ever wanted that Fourth of July deal, or Easter goodie, and for sure, Christmas savings, this is the time to shop! Don't wait until a month before the holiday, that's when every other Tom, Dick and Jane is sucking up all the goodies and paying more than they need to.


Christmas lights.

Now who here does NOT have at least one string of the regular old fashioned Christmas lights? Because you can buy the strings all over eBay for cheap, all the time.

But you need extra bulbs, and oh Mama, this lot of vintage Christmas bulbs is the motherlode!

I'm thinking "lights for Sputnik lamps" as well. Be creative. Just because they don't say : "Lights for Sputnik Lamps" doesn't mean you cannot use them. And I'm loving the idea of using red and orange for mine... IF I ever get one.


OK, I'm not going to bother linking these up to the actual auctions, because I'll be sitting here for another two hours if I do.

If you want to know a specific link, ask. I saved all of these on my "Watch" list.






Plastic? I hear a few of you sneering. YES! Plastic was one of those amazing materials of the future! Back in the mid-century era. The poor plastic flower is highly underrated. Just go and try to find a huge lot of plastic flowers on eBay. You can't.

But you CAN buy tons of plastic holly wreaths for cheap. Glitter candle and all. Now go! Discover plastic!












The bottlebrush tree. I really don't know why these are so popular. They are made out of toilet brush materials. BUT I have an open mind, so I will reserve my judgment for another day! Those that have a little mercury glass bead garlands are always the hot sellers, but you can get one nekkid and put your own garland on it. Wha-la, mid-century charm-o-rama.










OK, these were so odd, I just had to post them. They are not mid-century, but more "century". Counterweight candle holders. I guess they hung over the branch of grandmas tree and you stuck a candle in the metal part and the ball hung down to keep it balanced? That's what the clip-on candle holders were for. Oh well, unique to say the least!










Mid-century Christmas wrapping paper. I always wanted to wrap all my gifts in the stuff. Mid century gifts, of course. This gift paper gets sucked up and fast come October, so nab what you can now. If any of you decide to wrap all your gifts in mid-century wrapping paper this year, PLEASE show photos!!








MmmHmmm ornaments. We can never have too many of these, right? Right? The plain old one's just won't do. No, apparently you have to have the glitter stencil one's like these, or the indents. Seems "Poland" and "Czech" one's are hot hot hot. So how come all I have are the plain old one's? I dunno, but now is your chance to get the "right" one's while they are affordable. I saw these selling like hotcakes last year at November and December.









Now I have seen a lot of these "blow mold" injection plastic light-up decoration dealies, but this one is super cute! Tell the world your house is a rockin' mid century home by displaying one of these on your porch. Once again, they sell quite well come the cool weather. Be warned!








Vintage Christmas pins. I know a lot of you ladies out there are vintage fashion mavens. Well, I'm afraid my idea of vintage fashions is limited to wearing that Journey concert tank top I got back in 1986. Hey, vintage atomic particle ball feet furniture and vintage Space radios thrill me more, what can I say? lol... But these pins are super affordable and so darn cute! Don't forget to check out vintage corsages as well. That's like a vintage Christmas pin with some plastic holly stuck to it. You will be the talk of the town!










And if you don't mind super dooper cute repros, welcome to your new addiction: Bethany Lowe. Go on, just click HERE to see what I am talking about!




Thus concludes our celebration of Christmas in July. Please note I do not know any of these sellers personally nor am I a paid spokesmodel for eBay as a whole. I don't do tea with Meg Whitman and I bring this to you for your viewing pleasure only. Thank you.

Happy Thursday!
.
.

16 comments:

  1. Aren't those bulb colors fabulous?

    I have to admit that we no longer have a string of those lights, but we did once, having inherited them from my in-laws.

    What I'd like to find are some of the bulbs that were in the same box as the lights. I only had one, and it didn't work, but it was fun. It was a white globe with crystal like flakes all over it (looked like a snowball).

    Oh, and old fashioned bubble lights. Those are of course being reproduced today.

    I'd also love to find the lighted Santa that we had when I was five or six. It was slightly different than all the ones I usually see, so I don't think that many were made, or perhaps they simply didn't survive the years.

    I admit that I'm one of those odd people who loves bottle brush trees. I only wish I could find some in good condition. I have four small ones (50s Christmas village size), and three 'new' vintage look ones that I bought for $1 a piece last year, but nothing larger.

    As for pins, I wish I still had my mothers Christmas tree pins. They were from the 40s and 50s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bulbs.

    Have no space to store Christmas stuff, let alone buy more.

    Sometimes, I don't decorate at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carole, I posted a couple links to auctions for snowball christmas lights on your blog lol... We used to have too when I was a kid, and like I said on your blog, I found an amazzzzzing box & string of them at a Thrift about 15 years ago.

    Barbara I have NO, ZERO, ZIPPO room for any more holiday decorations. Period lol... My hall closet houses most all of it, and that's enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last Christmas I said once we get a house, we're getting a new tree and I want to find vintage lights and vintage bulbs! I love them all so much. Very cool! Great tip about it being "off season" ... Man, I want a vintage Christmas once we get a decent sized place some day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tons of affordable Christmas stuff on eBay, always is, as long as you stay away from the "gotta haves" lol...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd LOVE to know the link to those bulbs but only if you're not going to bid on them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370406032618&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course I have the strings of lights. I usually stock up on them at Westlake hardware every year!, They come loose in bins like this. I hafta get orange esp.for Halloween! Hard to find them any other time. I love the idea for the Sputnik lamp. I used to put holiday appropriate colors in mine. I gave it to a friend for her space room, and I am still kicking myself. Zootsuitmama

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it all but you know we're really weird when it comes to Christmas it's the only non-50s things we have, we go a little older and more traditional, I only realise how weird that is when I write it! However we've had a tradition for years, we used to visit Switzerland regularly and there are THE best Christmas ornaments in a town we go, they're not cheap but we treat ourselves occasionally, they're not VERY traditional but they all mean something to us but the are all made traditionally!

    mmm it's so strange that this is the only area of our lives that isn't influenced by the 50s, we're music and clothes people too, not only interiors, I must have a think about that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up in a mid-1950's house. The back of it looks like design case house# 26 (I think) in Los Angeles. I just realized that tidbit redently. Anyways, till I had seen houses in Orange County, CA I thought we were the only ones with a house like that. I grew up on a dead end street in Inglewood.

    I just had to check out your blog to see what your house is like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hiya Kat and I'm not quite sure what you mean by design case house#26 or what the looks like, so I can't comment. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, googled it and all it shows is a small google satellite image of it, so I'm still not sure? lol...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the walk down Candy Cane Lane. A little snow might be nice right about now....
    rosie

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooh I love those lights - very familiar to what I use to put on the tree as a child in the 70s

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh you are a lifesaver! You just reminded me that I need some old lightbulbs for my AWSOME patio lights!

    Thank you =D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Merry Xmas In Advance (Do It Early Can't Forget It!! LOL)

    ReplyDelete