Thursday, July 1, 2010

Is This Modern or Mid-Century



Advertised as a mid-century silkscreen on wooden board, 8 x 12"

I know a lot of my blog friends are artists, namely, Altered artists and Outsider artists.

Back in my former life, in addition to other mediums, I was an Altered/Outsider artist too. And I still keep up with the trends of Altered art and Outsider art.

I started creating my own Altered art when I first saw an Altered book in an art show in 1996, long before there were magazines like Somerset, etc. Even before the whole scrapbooking trend caught on. Altered art has been around longer, but it didn't become popular in mainstream until about the early 2000's.

Outsider art is a trend I have followed since before Basquiat.

What I am trying to say is, I've "been in the scene" for a while now. But by no means an expert.

At any rate, I have seen a lot of Altered and Outsider art. I know what the current styles and trends are.



Now here is the observation:

This silkscreen is advertised as "Mid-Century".

But the bird on the head: says "more modern".

The scribble of a white colored pencil drawn 'randomly' across the artwork says "modern".




I know, I've done the exact same thing to make an Altered artwork look "older" and more "interesting". Not to deceive, but this is what I and at least one other artist has been doing as part of the overall composition in recent years. But it's not exactly a revelation to do this.


The back:


Looks like a stained pattern, not "old wood".



Now here is my question for my artistic and other blog friends:

Do you think this is really modern, or do you think this is mid-century?

Thanks for your opinion!
.
.

7 comments:

  1. Looks like it came from Pier 1 then again it is hard to tell from a few pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can click on the images for a larger view. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks modern to me as well. I think someone gave it the distressed look to age it. But by no means am I quotable. Just an opinion, miss. G'morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What makes me think it is more modern is the uneveness of the diamond pattern in the background. For some reason that just screams 'modern' to me. I also agree with the bird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard for me to say too, without holding it in my hands. Overall appearance-wise though, it smacks of modern to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it.

    I'd even consider buying it, but I don't usually collect other artists work (they are like books, once you start, you can't stop ;) )

    But it's getting a few bids.

    And if it were genuine mid-century, I'd bid fairly high, because I like it that much.

    But...

    I can create something identical to it myself.

    And I am not as interested IF it's modern.

    If it's mid-century, I think it's an important piece, considering the composition relating to modern work.

    Did I just make any sense at all? lol...

    Thanks for your opinions, my hunch is the same as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops, except the price just went up to a point I'm not willing to pay more for lol...

    Problem solved. =D

    I'll recreate my own version of this myself. =)

    ReplyDelete