Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Have You Ever Had This Happen?

This wonderful atomic magazine rack arrived yesterday, well packed, but as soon as I cut the box open, I smelled a familiar smell:

Cheap spray paint. (It has a sort of funky smell to it, if you have ever used it).

And as I unwrapped it, I saw that this magazine rack was a perfect flat black.

As I grabbed it by the spring-like wire grip, I saw a hint of gold underneath.

It had recently been sprayed a flat black from it's original gold finish.

This seller sells nothing but mid-century, and had obviously sprayed it themselves. With NO mention in the description.


I'm not sure I mind, exactly, but a mention of it in the auction would have been proper, don't you think?

I hope that funky smell dissipates soon.

I once bought a vintage travel shaving kit in a plastic-like bag, and the seller had wiped it down with pure Lysol, which I cannot STAND! (I think it was musty, and they were trying to cover the bad smell).

It reeked so bad, I put it on the back porch where it continued to reek for months. I finally threw it out.

Ever have something like this happen to you?