Friday, July 23, 2010

Ahhh The Lovey Smell Of Musty Mold - What To Do?

So my beautiful vintage mid-century 1950's vinyl slipper vanity boudoir chair arrived yesterday. I do love it, simply gorgeous!

And best of all, it was $16. That's like 10 British pounds for my UK friends. $18 for my Aussie friends.


No way could I pass on this.

But as I opened the heavy and large box, that familiar and unwelcome scent hit my nose. The one I was just talking about in a prior post.

It smelled musty. =(

It arrived on a warm day, from a hot truck, so I let it sit overnight, but there is no mistaking the smell.

It's not overpowering, but definitely there.

The smell is coming from the underside of the seat, which seems to be made up of a thin layer of straw material and some foam.

I googled and found a whole argument of ways to take care of it: Yes bleach water, no bleach water, yes vinegar, no vinegar, yes baking soda, no baking soda, yes kitty litter, no kitty litter.

It was dizzying!!

I'm curious if any of you have had this issue, and took care of it in a way that worked?

I'm confident I can find a solution with a few attempts, perhaps.

And of course the seller who MUST have known about it as s/he disassembled it, hasn't said a word. A gold seal power seller.

I'll withhold my feedback for now on this. If I can easily get the stank out, I just might give them a glowing review. Even though I know it was a pain to disassemble and pack this, and I DO appreciate the fantastic deal, they live in a part of the country that obviously gets mold and mildew, so they must have had an idea this had a scent to it.

Annnnd a HUGE "Thank You!!" to zootsuitmama for the lovely tablecloth I got from her! Pictures to follow.

Well, happy Friday! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!