Monday, July 5, 2010

Advantages of Being Home on Holidays



I admit it. I tend to stay home on holidays, wanting to avoid crowds and drunks and noise and general nuisance.

But one advantage, is finding eBay auctions ending on those days when most folks are out partying and such. And away from their bidding habits.

Just like yesterday.



Now of course, that brass starburst door escutcheon sold for for more than I was willing to pay, but this atomic particle starburst living room lamp, which will match my atomic particle starburst lamp finial perfectly, sold for cheap. Snag.









Some starburst flatware like we used to have as kids. I still dig some of it up in the garden every once in a while. Why the heck it got out there is beyond me.









And finally. Some lava glaze mid century handmade pottery.



This always sells for more than I am willing to pay, so getting two was a 'win'.










And since these two little mid century vases were cheap... Snag.









And snag. Same seller, shipping combined.


My 1950's pottery collection is starting to overflow the little 1950's wooden shelf I have. Guess it's time to remove all the vases I've bought that didn't turn out to be actual handmade, but were manufactured (and sold in the wrong category).





At any rate, I hope all of you had a safe and sane Fourth of July. if it was insane, DO share!!
.
.

18 comments:

  1. wow love the lamp and silverware!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like somebody hauled in the goodies yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember, shop for things you *need* heh heh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's try this again... *smirk*

    The sputnik finial part alone I saw go for over $20 a couple weeks ago... Sweet score!

    If you ever happen to change your mind about that flatware you can always send it on over to me ;D

    I'm off shopping for a while, how fun is THAT?! =P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stop removing your comments to my removed remarks! LoL

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL you know I was messin' with ya lol...

    And pssst it was me who bought that "over $20" finial on eBay a couple weeks ago, but I was too ashamed to admit how much I paid for it *blush*

    Have fun shopping, get me something good. =)

    Will keep my eye out for more starburst flatware too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ummmmmmmmmmmmm... maybe I should just delete my $20 comment now? ;X ...It is pretty cool though, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nahhhh lol no biggie. Ya just don't see cool atomic finials come up on eBay very often, or at least, I don't. So I had to snag that sucker. =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am slowly trying to collect some kind of set of starburst silverware so far I have 5 pieces. *LOL* I found them all at the same thrift shop and have not come across any since. I do know eventually I will luck out. Maybe I should go dig up my garden, there may be some in there! =p

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool lamp!

    I remember that silverware. In fact, hubby and I had some that had passed to us from the in-laws when we got married. I'm not sure what happened to it.

    We tend to stay home during holidays these days too. We prefer home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The "set" I bought is very small, but I don't use a lot of silverware. And yes, feel free to search my yard for more lol...

    Home looks so much better as we get a little older. No need to go out and fight the other million people trying to get somewhere too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the flatware too! There's so much cool vintage stuff in America and so cheap. You guys are so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the doo dads on the lamp! My little pair of vanity lamps have those! I like to stay home too. I don't get to spend near enough time at home! Like to piddle...and rearrange, etc.
    zootsuitmama

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow great haul! I always look for stuff ending on days like this too I bagged a great bargain once as the auction ended on Christmas day, not great planning on the sellers part!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, holidays are the best days to get great deals!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I spent the day of the 4th out and about BBQs and camping but stayed home all Monday and piddled in the garage! Its nice to be home and get stuff done! I hope you had a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete