Thursday, June 24, 2010

Rounding Out A Collection - The Details

This Eames wall shelf shadow box decoration thing (is there a name for it?) is cool, but at $75 Buy It Now and $26 s/h, I'll pass.

If you want it, grab it HERE.

I don't like to spend a lot of money on my mid-century items. I think that's half the fun of buying: getting a good deal.

Oh sure, some things we have to pay extra for. The perfect couch, just the right chairs. But a whole lot of other things we can find for cheap.

My space room/office is one room I just don't want to pay a lot of money to decorate. I'd love to, but my budget is limited. And if I am going to splurge, that's what the living room and master bedroom are for. In my opinion.

But there are a lot of details you can buy very inexpensively to fill a room and it's style or theme. And that's what I do. Buy inexpensive things to round out a "look".

Like these 1950's and early 1960's Life magazines about the Space Race.

And this cool space theme covered booklet of tattoos. Awesome!

OK, so a mouse nibbled on the lower left corner, but for $0.99, how can you resist these super cool 1950's graphics?

And this vintage brass airplane mobile.

OK, OK, so it's advertised as a "wind chine". But hang it inside a room and it becomes a "mobile". Mobile sounds more masculine than "wind chime" lol...

What sorts of smaller, more affordable items to you need to buy to fill out your collection?