1

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Atomic Bomb Nuclear Fallout Civil Defense



Next to the space race, my next mid-century fascination has to be the Atomic Bomb era. I remember the real deal fallout shelter signs on places like my downtown library and the pamphlets my brother explained to me as a kid about how far away you'd have to be from an atomic bomb blast to survive. Yikes! It was very real and very scary stuff back then.

But I did a quick search on eBay and wow! Just look at all the super cool Civil Defense stuff you can buy!

First you need your communicator (above) so you can talk to other nuclear winter survivors.



THEN you need your trusty geiger counter (above) so you can see if it's safe outside, or to test your own dreaded exposure.



THEN you need that all important sanitation kit housed in a big drum. I wonder if this strapping fellow comes with it?



AND you need your little testing meters in case the geiger counter guy is overcome with too much radiation lol...

It's quite a fascinating part of our mid-century and Cold War history, and was used in many horror films to boot. The threat of nuclear winter is still a big question mark, but you too can be stylin' with your own Civil Defense preparation gear!

I'd love to pick some of this stuff up, but it's one of those things I know I have to "just say no" to, otherwise I'd be collecting a ton of this as well lol...