Friday, May 7, 2010

Atomic Mid-Century Barkcloth Curtains



Whoo hoo! After searching and searching and searching for curtains, enough Eames style curtains in the right size, right amount, right colors and right patterns at a cost I could afford, I FINALLY scored just about enough for my 6 huge, floor to ceiling living room windows!



OK, so my color scheme is mostly black, red, gray and gold, so I'll just have to deal with the little turquoise color also thrown in, but it will work nicely!



It still won't quite be enough (4 panels each at 40" x 86"), it's the right amount for not quite four out of the 6 windows, so I will have white curtains on two windows in-between.

I was never going to live long enough to find enough curtain material for all 6 windows!

Now to find barkcloth curtains for a couple other rooms. With smaller windows *whew*


I'm guessing barkcloth is a dry-clean only deal? Anyone know?



I also wanted to thank each and every one of you who responded to my "Mid-Century Debate" (last post). I read every response carefully and learned a lot about each one of your ideas regarding this issue. Some of your had perspectives I'd never thought of! Very interesting to say the least. Thank you very much for all your replies. I wanted to respond to each one, and will do so later after I wake up, with a new post.

13 comments:

  1. Love those curtains, they'll look great. Maybe you can find a white barkcloth for the other two windows? I'll bet if you just add a turquoise item or two in the room (maybe a vase or planter or something) it will be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with Uncle A -- just one or two turquoise items (an ashtray and/or vase) would be perfect. Great curtains and I know you are sooooo happy to have found them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. with any vintage barkcloth, dry cleaning is your best bet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah! What a major score finding that many panels. I've been hunting for two matched pairs of kitchen drapes on Ebay (until I get fed-up and quit looking for awhile, again LoL). Really really like that pattern you chose too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barkcloth is waaaaay too expensive on eBay! I protest! lol...

    Good ideas Uncle Atom...

    Thanks for the info Matt, better to be safe than sorry!

    Space Commander, it's sooooooo hard to find some that are in the right colors, patterns and size, isn't it?

    Thanks for all your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome job! I know the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and I forgot to say, those are freakin awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are so wacky - my parents bought a retro holiday bach a few years back and the curtains were made from that exact same fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barkcloth has the best texture and fabulous colors. Why stop at the curtains? Do the chairs, the bed spread, the couch! How many atomic barkcloth patterns are out there?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of patterns Mz Chickens, but anything remotely "atomic" sells for huge bucks grrr lol...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great curtains! I found some orange and black patterns like that on a white backround, I put them up in the fall. I come across barkcloth at thrift stores when I least expect it, but never a set of several patterns. They will look great! Zootsuitmama

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great barkcloth, I have a similar problem our windows are quite as huge as yours but they are big for what I can afford in fabric, some of the prices are crazy, and then I have to factor in shipping to the UK :o(

    ReplyDelete