Friday, April 9, 2010

Vintage Space Saver Rotary Retro Phone



I've never seen a phone like this before. Looks to be from the 1960's.

Does it just sit at the edge of a counter with the mouthpiece dangling off the side like that?

How do you dial it? Doesn't it tip over? Or do you remove the handset, pick it up, then dial?

I am both intrigued and confused!

You can have this yourself for the right price.

Auction ends today, look HERE.


Found a suitable two-tiered lampshade for my big black globe lamp, with a good enough Buy It Now price. but just to make sure, I emailed the seller.





I wanted to be sure it was fiberglass and not paper. I made the mistake of buying a Eames vintage paper lampshade. Not a single bit of light shines through the shade, which defeats the purpose of having a lamp at all, unless you don't mind light only shining from the top and bottom.


They wrote back saying it was paper, but I wrote back a second time, because it looks like parchment/fiberglass, and. . . They didn't bother to reply a second time.

I was all ready to send that payment to them had it been real fiberglass/parchment, but I guess they didn't need the money that bad.

Or, it's made from paper lol...

12 comments:

  1. Aaacckk! That phone would look perfect in my kitchen--that's my color! But I've promised myself and God that I will NOT buy anything until after I've got that condo. I am absolutely no good at self-control (proof: me) and if I can get through this successfully I'm thinking I might try to lose weight next. HA HA HA HA HA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh Christine, I just deposited fresh money into my eBay account, too. It makes me go a little crazy thinking I can afford more than I should be getting ha ha.

    Fingers still crossed for you on the condo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That phone rocks! I love vintage and retro, as you know, however I was really really bad with rotary phones as a youngster. I would constantly get wrong numbers. I remember being so happy when we finally got a push-button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My folks didn't get a push button phone until about 10 years after everyone else had one. Same with a color TV, microwave and just about everything we owned lol...

    Which is why I still have so much vintage stuff from when I was a kid. My folks didn't get a lot of "new" things nor did they upgrade anything in the house. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that phone a whole lot. I have never seen anything like it, it is too cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That phone is totally cool!

    I think it's probably used like a candlestick phone. You pick it up, remove the receiver, and dial while holding it.

    That color is 'in' everywhere this year. I went to Crate and Barrel yesterday and it's the predominate color in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a telephone like thatm its older and black, but apparently they hang o the wall. Mine came out of an old hardware store, and it was the "comp phone" for customers. I tused to be at the Casablanca but we didht have phoen then is was for "looks" and I knwo mine has to be hard wired into a phone line, (becuase they apparently didnt have the "jacks" we have now in the 1930's)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That phone is GREAT! Never seen anything like it before,so rad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh, I wondered if it was supposed to hang on the wall. Either that or it's like Carole said. =)

    Not a big fan of avacado green myself, or I would snag it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I took a chance and clicked your link. Wow! I'm sure glad I did. If you don't mind, I'm going to tag along.
    thanks

    patricktillett.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Vintage Space saver phone, I have the same model it scews to the wall , the dial adjusts for angle and the recever hook can be moved to any position in a circle around the base unit, this version has no internal ringer so a seperate ringer box is required if you need bell, I just rely on hearing other phones ringing in the house, A superb phone. And a great website! All the best Paul

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have two of these in black, I plan to restore, if possible.

    ReplyDelete