Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Happy Hump Day



The Philco Predicta TV sold for $730 + $125 s/h. Not bad considering the reproduction models probably cost as much or more. I still have no clue because they don't tell you on any of their websites.

And because I am realizing I need BIG lamps for my BIG living room rather than the several pair of bedside sized lamps I already have I debated and debated over this pair of majestic lamp shades in hopes of buying the bases at a later date...



But I chickened out and they sold for just over $100 each, $200 for the pair.

Not bad, all things considered, but then I'd have to wait and wait for a pair of Majestic lamp bases to come up for auction.

Sometimes accumulating the "right" stuff ain't easy lol.

I have my eye on this pair of lamps BUT the shades are brown. I don't have brown in any of the rooms as a dominant color.



They are selling them separately which sucks (man and woman) and yet try though I might, I just can't think of how I'd incorporate them into any of my rooms with that brown shade. But I do like them.

Did I say how hard it is to collect the "right" stuff?

And I still have my eye on a repro Calder mobile for the living room.




The colors are perfect, but at $120, not exactly cheap!

Still, it would be perfect and save me the trouble of trying to make one......

Hope you all are having a great day!
.

14 comments:

  1. Woo, that stuff is pricey! I operate in the $1-$5 range for shades. A good lamp, maybe $20. The mobile is sweet too Maybe if you're feeling really crafty, you could make a mobile? I wonder if there are any tutes online for them? I can't believe the people with the pair of lamps are selling them separate, They are a PAIR! C'mon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was LUCKY to get a large two-tiered shade for $12 this past week, they always sell for $35-$100 grrrr...

    I once bid on a set of Majestic lamps with these same lamp shades but they sold for over $500!! So that's why I debated...

    Yeah, the more I look at "modern retro" mobiles the more I think I will make my own. I've made smaller ones in the past when I was showing my art and crafts at art shows. It's not that difficult, you simply need some kind of material that cuts well and assembles and looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I was also watching the sunburst lampshades, but the price got just too high.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha Keith! I figure many of my fellow bloggers watch a lot of the same stuff I do lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh I have a lamp with a similar shade, managed to get it all the way back to UK but when I opened it up, despite being well packed it had snapped in half eeek, I got it restored though. I would definately make the mobile myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the things you collect. Once you finish your house, you'll have to do a video tour for those of us who have watched you create!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Straight Talking Mama!, that sucks! Arg....

    Mz Chickens, I hope I live long enough to get this project done lol... if I do, copious photos will abound, and video if I can remember how to use the dealie on my digital camera.

    I'm not sure I'll ever get there... =(

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'd love the store I discovered a few days ago, though most of their lighting was ceiling type, there were several vintage lamps as well. It was a true time capsule to walk through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pictures, we want to see pictures, Carole... =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I saw a Modernism mag last week at the bookstore, there was a little blurb about the Philco repros, I believe it said $1800-3600. Not sure if that's tabletop vs. floor standing or standard model vs. custom, or what.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those lampshades are too awesome! If I had ten of them - I would still buy more if I could. I posted on Vintage Housewife blog about my lamp and dish addictions! But I draw the line at some of the outrageous prices! Zootsuitmama

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes, thanks anon, I figured they were super expensive. As you see, you can get the real deal for much less...

    Ha ha zootsuitmama, I have this HUGE lamp addiction/fixation!

    Now I am on the prowl for a pair of larger lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey fellow veggie! I heart your blog so much I gave it an award :)

    here is the link: http://www.theveggiemama.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want a Predicta so bad. There's one at a nearby antique store that the old man wants $275 for. Red Princess model. However, you can tell the screen is shot without even plugging it in. But, if I could just get him to come down a little... If it worked that would be a great deal.

    ReplyDelete