Monday, February 22, 2010

Vintage 1950's Mid-Century Reproductions



What's your opinion about reproductions? Do you incorporate them into your decor?

I figure, there are enough vintage things out there, that one really doesn't need them, except maybe in a very few very specific cases.



Part of the reason I am asking, someone gave me an Amazon gift certificate, and they don't have a whole lot of vintage reproductions that have high customer ratings. Their KitKat clock rates as "a piece of junk" lol.



And why are atomic print materials so expensive? A pillow for $59? No thanks, I'll buy a piece of original barkcloth and make my own, thank you very much.



I will need to get new, reproduction kitchen appliances, unless I can find someone to rebuild and refinish my original pink kitchen appliances, and I'm going to buy a new couch and chair for the living room because I want brand new, and they make 50's style couches and chairs. Plus I want them in black, and you don't see vintage couches and matching chairs in black.

But what about you?

Do you use reproductions, what kinds, and why?

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you, why would you spend three times as much money on a poorly made item that's just a reproduction of the real thing? Vintage RULES!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it all depends. I love vintage and will always go for it first, but if there is something I really want and cannot find it in vintage within my price range, then repro it is. I also consider the area...not all of us are blessed to be close to anywhere that sells vintage (and postage can be prohibitive).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I generally try to avoid reproductions if at all possible. Part of the fun in vintage things is that they're vintage! That is, they'll lived through a previous time and have survived. To me, they have part of that time captured in them through natural patinas, maybe a little knick, and just general aging. With that being said however, like Pixie mentioned, in some cases an original is simply not feasable at the time. In those rare cases, I might have a reproduction, but hopefully to be replaced by an original when possible. As for what I like original, I have to say everything! From sofas to kitchen appliances, I love it all and love the search! I can't imagine buying one of those $5000 "retro" stoves, when I can buy a more fabulous working vintage one for a couple hundred!

    That being said, if you ever need a home for your original pink appliances, whether they work or not, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the only time i have bought a reproduction is a couch from Macy's. so far so good. For other things I do not like to buy reproductions as they are not made to last, and are extremely over-priced. I love an old thing, and its history... so i usually always stick to originals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. everyone has made a good point..for me, if I can not afford an original vintage item and the reproduction is good quality..reproduction it is!! I can't afford an original Picasso,but I'm darned thrilled to have a "copy".....
    obviously, I'd rather own the original,but it's not always feasable.

    ReplyDelete