Monday, February 22, 2010

Update On Atomic Lamp



Someone asked the question I think a lot of us had:

Q: It's so wild it's hard to believe it isn't some lousy reproduction -- it is definite mid century vintage? Did they use bulb clips like that in 50's and early 60's?


Good question! Have you ever seen a lamp anything like this? I saw a seller who was selling printed fiberglass whip-stitched lampshades on eBay with all kinds of different things printed on them.

Here is the answer:

A: Hi and thanks for your interest in my auction. I'm sure it's an "oldie". Evidently it was in someone's attic or basement for a long time before the auction judging by the "moldy" smell. As for the bulb clips - The wires are soldered onto the outer frame and appear to be original to the piece. Hope this info helps.


Uh oh, there's the "M" word again. Moldy.

The highest bidder added a couple more bids to their own high bid, and it's still standing at $110. Auction ends in less than 5 hours as of this post.

I thought about it, I really did.

But that moldy smell turns me off. And I have nothing that matches this color scheme at all. It's so, well, unusually over the top atomic style. Have you seen anything made in the 50's or early 60's like this, in this pattern and these colors?

Once, while watching Antiques Roadshow, one of the adorable Keno brothers was evaluating an Art Deco poster, dated 1929.

He described it as "Art Deco on steroids". Simply too over the top, too quintessential Art Deco even for it's time, pumped up, IF it had been printed in 1929.

It wasn't. It was a reproduction style poster made in the 1980's.

So this one still makes me skeptical. And I don't want to deal with the stink.

But I sure do love looking at it!

Check it out HERE.


*****UPDATE*****

Stinkie sold for $202 dollars. Whoo hoo lol...

9 comments:

  1. for some reason I can't pull the auction up, but when i look for a vintage lamp, I always look at the plug. the cord and plug seem to always show its age. if it is a two prong plug that is very flat. More modern plugs cover more of the sockets to prevent sparks. Also if the cord has very small writing on it then it could me more modern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the URL:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380198120004&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

    They don't show the plug end in any of the photos.

    The stained nature of the shade does lend some credit, and of course the mold smell, but that could have been gained from the last 5-10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see that the light socket has a white sticker or something attached to it. that sticker could have recently been put on there, but i would expect it to be melted on or scorched/discolored from use if its from the eames era. but it's hard to see. You sound like you really love this lamp!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some days after a wild thrift store/garage sale/yard sale spree my living room (where I park all the bags) does smell musty. Actually, I don't mind a mild musty smell because it's an OLD smell. That lamp is waaaaay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny you should mention this because when I first saw the lamp, I wondered if I would be able to reproduce it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the lamp and the designs, but I don't like the colors nor the stinky musty smell.

    I'm still skeptical if it's genuine, because the colors are unlike anything I have seen, and the design is, well, almost too good to be true.

    But over the years of buying on eBay, I've received a few musty smelling items, and guess what? They still stink to this day lol.

    Carole had a good potential solution of putting the lampshade in a bag with baking soda, but I'm still skeptical.

    I DO love it, it's up to $125 now, but I'll let this one pass. I'm too picky about my room color scheme to invest in this one. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Keno Bros. It took me several episodes to realize that there were two of them, being twins and all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amber:

    They had their own short-lived show called "Find." They'd go to people's homes and look over their antiques and tell them if they had any treasures. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete