Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A New Year and Another New Computer



Well I did it again. I wore out a second computer in as many years.

***WARNING***
Long rant ahead, be sure to skip it, I'm just venting for my own mental health lol...

I can tell you from firsthand experience, it's not the end of the world to lose everything you worked on for the last year or two when you kill a computer and have no clue how to back up your files because you relied on someone else who did it, but that person is no longer here and you just didn't get around to learning it yourself because you have no clue what a RAM or gigabyte is or does.

Ahh all the photos lost, all the Word docs with all the tips and such, all the massive amount of photoshop files and .psd's that have to be recreated. Not the end of the world. You just start over. Been there done it twice now.

I'm very hard on my computers, though, so both the one's I killed gave it their best. I run mine 24/7, only restarting when I have to. I run a minimum of 10 software programs, do massive amounts of design work and watch DVDs on them, and have 4 browsers with 20++ tabs across the top at all times, so I do ask a lot from my computers.

My trip to the computer store, something I've been avoiding was less than thrilling. Now I know how to work a computer once she's all set up, and I was weaned and whelped on a Mac, so it's hard to find folks who know how to help me. Sorry, I won't give up my Mac, I'll deal with the learning curve.

But the Apple store was very crowded, the sales guy talked right over my head and out of the computer and stuff I walked in asking for. Funny, he undersold me, not oversold me. Do I look that bad off? Ha. Good, at least I wasn't talked into more stuff than I needed.

Now Apple is usually fantastic, but this guy was lame. I made sure to write Apple a harshly written email about my Apple store shopping experience and how he undersold me. That felt good. =) How do I know I was undersold? Because a computer expert told me what I should get. Why didn't I do just that? because the geek at Apple made sense, and I assumed he knew better. How many times do we make this mistake when we should know better ourselves? Me of all people should have known better. But the store was jammed full, and I felt completely out of my element. I won't make that mistake again. Live and learn.

But I did get a backup system that updates all the time, and when this one crashes, all I have to do is plug it in to the next one, and poof, it restores it like like the way I have this one. I'll be sure to test that in about 3 years before this one takes that final dive off the cliff, and by the way, I never ever had an issue with my Macs, up until the day they died lol...

Now, since this one is big and new and set me back the exact amount as the new year $2010, I know I will be happier with it, because I did have a lot of trouble checking out all of your blogs on my old computer. I expect this one to run like a dream, and allow me to check out all of your blogs with ease. =)

So. . . While I make up for a lot of lost work, my blog posts will be a little sporadic.

Hope your New Year was better than mine!

6 comments:

  1. Yea!! New computer!! Booo! Credit card payments! Wait a minute, I think I'm projecting! Love your photo at the time. How many times have I felt like creating that photo with my own toys!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been having similar problems lately. I'm so glad you have a good backup system now. That is the most vital part. I learnt my lesson about 10 years ago when I lost 6 months of work! That was pretty heartbreaking!

    Are you using the Time Machine that comes with the Mac? That's a pretty fantastic app.

    Good luck with your new computer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like the computer experiences in our house. Glad you got through it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about all of your files.

    It's always fun for me to go into a store with hubby (who knows a lot about computers and Mac's in general) and listen to the store clerks try to tell him what's better and what's not. He's very good about it, but I can see in his eyes what he's thinking. lol

    We won't give up our Mac either. Hubby finds them to be the best and most reliable, and since he's worked on a Mac for years, it was the obvious choice for us when it came time to finally have one in the house. He uses Windows too - but don't get him started on that! lol

    We're at the point where there's no more upgrading...and with all the graphics heavy websites it's often like running on dial-up again. The time has come to shell out the bucks.

    That said, we can't afford (nor do we need) as much of a system as you got (the one we're considering costs enough at nearly $1000), but we've been looking and considering our options.

    We have been all but given a Mac-Mini to tide us over, but I'm so used to using two monitors it's going to be hard going back to one until we get the new set up.

    Funny the things we get used to isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw that picture of the keyboard in the monitor and then read your post, I felt better about hating MY computer. I had the nasty experience of backing up all my files on one of those portable drives and then IT wouldn't work! I keep hearing such good things about Macs, so maybe this year it might be time to try one. Felt good to rant, didn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks one and all for all your comments!

    I love my new iMac, and while I want two monitors with all the design work I do, this 22" LCD screen is awesome...

    On the downside, it took me a full 24 hours and about 10 calls to Adobe India to get this %$#@&% Photoshop CS4 to install grrrrrr... lol

    ReplyDelete