Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Favorite Christmas Memories




Nope, this isn't my family, nor me at Christmas. I think after all the excitement of my older my siblings, my folks were burned out on the "taking photos at holidays" deal by the time I came along, so I have to borrow others' photos ha. I think I have photos of one of my folks' early trees. A lot of slides and such were taken of one tree, I assume it's the first one they had in their new home (this house). But the hanging lamp is different than the one that's in the living room now, so it's a mystery.

At any rate, for some reason, it's difficult to remember my early Christmas memories. Maybe because I didn't have photos to remind me over the years? Dad took some home movies of my siblings fighting over a red peddle car they got one year. Mom thought they'd happily share, but instead they fought like crazy over it.

I do remember coming into the living room one Christmas and seeing what looked like a ton of gifts. and our stockings so full, Santa had to put them on little stools they were so heavy. Even toys in our socks!

And when I was about 5 I wanted a pony. When I was 8, Mom told me that if I learned everything there was to know about caring for one, she'd get me one.

I think she thought that wish would pass, but instead I set about reading every single horse book in the local library, and every library in a 20 miles radius.





I begged and pleaded with Mom, and when I was 13 Mom finally agreed, and with Dads tax return money, I got my beloved pony.

That Christmas, somehow Dad rented a small horse trailer, and we brought my pony to my house for Christmas. I live in a suburban area, not zoned for horses, but it was always a dream for me to have my pony in my backyard for Christmas, and I finally did, after all those years of waiting.

I'll never forget that Christmas.

What was your favorite Christmas memory?

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I don't think I have any memory to top getting a pony! lol I do remember one Christmas when I was in my 20's lamenting that Christmas wasn't fun anymore so that year my parents got me all toys and even put them under the tree like Santa brought them. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggi,

    Is there a chance your parents are looking to adopt a girl with her own business(es)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You showed a level of determination at the age of eight that I don't think I have even now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha ha Maggi! Yeah, Christmas lost the glow after I grew up too, but Mom love, LOVED it, so it remained special because she kept it special.


    Still, no gifts were quite as exciting as the ones we got as kids. =D



    Richard, I have a dogged determination about things even now. Some call it obsession, I prefer "eccentric" heh. If you stick to anything for a length of time, the same can be said of you. =D

    Thankfully I am also an artist, so eccentric is expected of me lol...

    ReplyDelete