Tuesday, October 6, 2009

200 Love Letters From A 1950’s Soldier



Auction description said:

UP FOR BID ARE 200+ MILITARY U.S.ARMY LOVE LETTERS.FROM WHAT I'VE READ THESE WERE WRITTEN TO A GIRLFRIEND THAT BECAME HIS WIFE.LOTS OF AIR MAIL STAMPS BUT NOT SURE WHERE HE WAS.THE MAIL CAME THROUGH FORT HOOD AND NEW YORK.THE TIME PERIOD WAS THE LATE 50"S.

Sold for $15.15.

Does it make you wonder why these things wind up on eBay too?

Maybe they never had children. Maybe their children weren’t interested in keeping “old” family mementos? Maybe they gave a lot of things to sell to an eBay assistant and didn’t know what they were selling and weren’t paying attention to the auctions?

I have a question for my fellow bloggers:

If you didn’t have any family to pass your beloved items on to, what would you do with them?

6 comments:

  1. This sort of thing makes me so sad. I sometimes pick up old photos at antique stores because I want to give them a home again; it bothers me that the people in them have been forgotten, or had no one left who cared about keeping the memories in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! certain photos seem to visually "speak" to me, and I have to have them... I often wonder what's going to become of our family photos as I see the generations pass, and even we forget "who was that again?"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw that's really sad... I try to 'rescue' items like that when I find them... I always pick up old greeting cards, letters, scrapbooks and photo albums when I see them at estate sales. Also wedding cake toppers! A lot of times the children/grandchildren for some reason aren't emotionally attached or other times there aren't living descendants. If I didn't have family I would find a friend or a collector who would be interested and treasure something of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's sad. Maybe they were in a public storage container that was defaulted. I often wonder what's in those...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a box of letters spanning 1949 - 1964. I've decided to blog them just as a means of preserving and sharing them. They have some interesting info about daily life. It's going to take me quite a while! I add a couple every evening. http://matrilineal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will probably donate the letters to a military sort of type museum. I am a military wife and this post was very close to my heart.

    ReplyDelete