Thursday, October 1, 2009

Happy October!



It’s a beautiful first day of October here. Cool, breezy and the cats are running around like crazy out back.

I had something else to post today, but instead will post a few more Favorite Things.

My Grandmother as a girl, August 4th, 1913, wearing the dress in the photo that the photograph sits on:


Don’t you love opening up your dresser drawers to find some of your vintage goodies you’ve collected?


I often find myself doing this, just to enjoy what I have.


I know you all have some cute vintage sewing things, don’t you?


And vintage scrapbooks! Who gives up or sells their family scrapbooks? I’d love LOVE to have scrapbooks from my family with bits of history in it. I found this one in an Antique shop, detailing one woman’s wedding and subsequent children:


It contains all sorts of mementos from the wedding:


And travels:


And birth of their first son:


It makes you wonder how these got to an Antique Mall, and where the family is, and why they didn’t keep this. Sadly, I’ve heard of families not wanting anything of their parents or Grandparents history.

I always ask: “Why?”

And Mom had some charming, small old books. One a Palmistry book containing old pressed flower petal from long ago:


These little old books are about 5 inches or so in height. So cute!


A bit rushed on this post, but I am off to go out for the day!

Hope your October 1st is a wonderful day!

5 comments:

  1. i have to contain my excitement when i see people's old "button jars" (as my mom always kept) or other assorted tins, etc... with sewing notions so i'm hearing ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, I have a bunch of button jars! lol...

    Fun, aren't they...? =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great photograph of your grandmother!

    As a collector of vintage photographs I wonder 'why' all the time. How do the photos end up in antique stores?

    I'm sure some are discarded because the person who had them last is the end of that family line, but I know there are also families who simply don't want them. I wonder if they ever regret it?

    There are also cases (such as in my own family) where photographs of places and people will never be identified. Some I've kept, but to be honest, others I've discarded. If I don't know the stories behind them there's little point in keeping them.

    There are also cases where people discarded excess on their moves across the country. My mother-in-laws family for instance. Furniture, personal belongings, pictures, all ended up discarded to make the trip easier and lighter. It's sad, but they did what they felt was necessary. Vintage photos from the 1800s are often found for the same reasons.

    I didn't really become interested in my own family history until I was in my twenties. I think that's the way with a lot of 'kids'. Some become interested as adults, some never become interested at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I found you (via Rita Deco)--having lived in one of the original 50's ranch-style homes in my southern California childhood, I'm once again interested in that time period and love to see what others cherish, as well. I have alot of my mother's family photographs and hopefully one of my nieces will take possession for future generations. Hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya Carole, yes, without information, sometimes the photos become useless to the family.

    When my Grandmother died, Mom wanted some of her things like the rest of her brothers and sister, but all she got were 3 antique albums of family that is related to use by marriage. They are lovely, but really quite meaningless to me, sadly.

    I also heard of a woman who kept diaries her whole life, but when she died, her younger family had no interest and threw them all out. I can't imagine doing that. Even if I felt no interest at the time, I'd know I could always store a box or three until maybe I do appreciate them.

    Thanks for your perspectives.


    Hiya Kate Spike and thanks, glad to have you here!

    ReplyDelete