Friday, September 4, 2009

Mid-Century Pottery

Here is an updated photo of my small pottery collection. Moms blue Aldo Londi Italian mid-century pottery bird is shown in this photo:
pottery

Should I refinish that 1950’s shelf? It’s worn, not dusty or dirty.

Got to posting a few photos of my mid-century things on a chat board when the subject of collections came up. One guy said my style of choice of '50's style was “too modern” and “if it’s stuff you had as a kid, it has no value”.

Big laugh. He prides himself on knowing antiques, and I imagine he is passing up a lot of deals with that attitude.

It reminded me of the plumber who walked into my house and proclaimed: “Whoa! A blast back to the 1960’s! Why would you decorate with 1960’s crap?!”

Uh, no, it’s 1950’s d├ęcor, and believe me, he won’t get my business ever again.

Do any of you ever get this attitude? Quite honestly, it surprises me when people express their dissatisfaction in this way. I may not like Amish style or colonial, but I wouldn’t put someone down for it.

What say you?

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I get this attitude a lot. Most people think I'm slightly crazy. I like what I like and that makes me happy, who cares what they think!

    As far as I'm concerned, the plumber was there to do a job and be professional not to leave snarky comments on your personal decorating choices. I'm with you....he wouldn't be getting my business again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a $4-5K plumbing job that needs to be done. Too bad he lost out lol...

    I'm an eccentric anyways, always have done my own thing, marched to the beat of my own drummer, but I never thought 1950's decorating was considered "eccentric" any more than any other style.

    Live and learn. =) Thanks for your response...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone with a clue who comes into my 1957 atomic ranch oooohs and ahhhhs over the cool mid century decor, in my experience. However I do occasionally get a clueless comment like my husband's colleague who asked "So, are you trying to decorate with dead people's stuff?" I feel your pain. Great site-- I enjoy your postings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my!

    Thanks for sharing Carrie, I feel better knowing this type of reaction isn't exclusive to me lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. what are ya gonna do, people lack "vision" let's just say lol... it's like when i walk into someone's home and it looks like an ethan allen showroom or the like and i'm yawning as they are gushing.

    ReplyDelete