Saturday, August 22, 2009

Majestic Lamps

Ok, I’m back in business with another image host to update my blog for all of you.

As promised, I wanted to feature the magnificent Majestic Lamp:
majestic-lamp-1

majestic-lamp-2

majestic-lamp-3

majestic-lamp-4

majestic-lamp-5

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of information online about the company, but I did find this:

The Majestic Lamp Company was formed out of two other companies, the Grisby-Grunow Company of New York City, and The Majestic Radio Company of Elgin, Illinois. Part of this merger entailed Grisby to sale his sole ownership of Columbia records to Sony, the first Japanese company to market in America after the war. Sony still owns the Columbia label today. According to the United States governments desire to control monopolies, no individual could own a manufacturing company of phonograph player, and produce or record the disc which it played.

Also, at the same time of the merger, Mr. Grunow sold out his 50% stake in the Grisby-Grunow Company to the infamous Mayor of New York James Walker. James Walker was President of The Majestic Lamp and Radio Company until 1948. After the change in laws, RCA & the transistor radio nearly put Majestic Lamp & Radio out of business.

With intern president William "Sloppy" Garwood at the helm, The Majestic Lamp and Radio Company was reduced to making only their profitable lamps, and by the early 1950's was known only as The Majestic Lamp Company.

These beautiful lamps were were manufactured sold and marketed under the Majestic Lamp company name until 1963 when the company was sold to Westinghouse.

Clifford Westinghouse made the lamps much more cheaply, with the thought that if he could get a Majestic Westinghouse Lamp into every house of America, then he would make millions on the replacement light bulbs.

9 comments:

  1. Majestic lamps are a favorite of mine too. I have yet to find one but always keep my eyes peeled and my hopes high that someday I will run across one for cheap! A girl can dream!

    MaryDeluxe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. WOW! Second from the bottom: I'm in love. Don't tell my girlfriend, I don't think she'd like being second in line behind the sweet, sweet curves that lamp.

    Geez, those are just so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These lamps are so amazing! It takes wonderful lamp styles to a whole new and better level.

    Last year before I started buying many 1950's lamps and knew little about them, I came across a pair of incredible Majestic lamps for sale on eBay.

    I wanted those lamps soooooo bad! They were going to be the center piece of my living room. The focal point. The things I would stare at for years to come.

    I was going to slap down a pretty penny for them. I HAD to have them, knowing nothing about this lamp style, selling price or anything.

    I put down what I thought was an insane price for lamps. So sure no one else would be dumb enough to pay that much lol...But alas, I was outbid.

    I still cry to this day lol...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have a Majestic Lamp! Do these lamps have any markings? How do I know if it is a Majestic Lamp??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Majestic lamps have a label under the green felt on the base. You have to peel it off in order to see the label. Luxcraft made some beautiful lamps that are often mistaken for Majestic lamps and are equally well made.

    I have somewhere around 25 Majestics or so. I bought them for years and now have a super collection, much of which is sitting in my basement waiting for my kids to get beyond the break everything phase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a lamp made by Luxcraft that looks identical to the lamp in the 4th picture. How much is one like this in good condition worth? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a couple just sold on ebay for about $700 each.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi- I have been researching like crazy and have found very little info on these amazing lamps. I believe i have a Majestic as well but the felt bottom and all traces of any label are gone. Is there any defining quality of these lamps that set them apart from others? If i sent photos of it could someone tell me? I LOVE this lamp and have not seen another like it. Thanks- Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can someone PLEASE post a photo of the paper label which appears on the base of these Majestic lamps? I cannot find a photo of one anywhere on the internet. Thanks

    ReplyDelete