Friday, January 16, 2009

You Have To Live With It



When it comes to deciding 1950’s era colors, remember, you have to live with it. So just because a color scheme was used in the 1950’s doesn’t mean you have to use it.

It seems most living rooms have the standard orange, turquoise, green, pink, brown and taupe colors everywhere you look, if you look at modern reproductions.

As a professional artist and amateur designer, I find having a big mix of colors to be too busy and visually irritating.

Keeping a color scheme simple, say, two basic colors, helps you to choose all that goes into that room, and makes it look cohesive. It also cuts down on the extraneous buying of a lot of “stuff”. And most 1950’s homes simply did not have all the “stuff” we tend to collect today.

Coming off the tail end of the Depression and WWll, streamline was still the basic feeling in most rooms. This is the point consumer buying started to kick into high gear, but far from what we seem to have today.

Now, I have been haunting Thrift stores, Antique Malls and eBay for many years now, so I have acquired a lot of vintage stuff. Sadly, I had to resell some of it several years ago when I needed some money, and I’m still kicking myself in the ass for selling a box of plastic flowers because you can’t seem to find them anymore, but I do have things in most of the basic colors of pink, green, blue, aqua, etc. So my living room may evolve from grays and blacks to that standard color range after all.

I have some vintage things packed away, and to be quite honest, I don’t even remember everything I kept and what I sold, so I am anxious to get it all out.

Authentic is what I have always strived for in my art and decorating, so having things from the 1930’s-1940’s was very conceivable back in the 1950’s. Look around your own home and I am sure you still have things from the 1990’s and 2000.

So I will happily keep those vintage items I picked up from those era’s as well. As I mentioned, Art Deco is my very favorite era, but with a 1950’s Ranch house and the price of Deco way out of my league anyways, mid-century is what I will concentrate on.


More 1950’s colors:

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_it_yourself/paint_colors/paint_color_palette/color_themes/exterior/ext_suburban/

http://www.us.kohler.com/designkb/colors/timeline_1950.jsp

I know the a href thingie, but can't seem to get it to work here. Arg. And these don't turn into links, even. Sorry for being such a noob at this folks. I'll learn it soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment