Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What Is Mid-Century?

I have seen "mid-century" as defined by things from the 50's, 60's and 70's, but I tend to disagree. Yes, designs overlap decades, but the 50's had a fairly distinct style that the late 60's and certainly the 70's did not have.

I also do not care for "Danish Modern", which I believe is like The Brady Bunch home interior, so if you are looking for discussions on Danish Modern, you won't find many here.

Interestingly, much of what I have seen in mid-century design books is not what the common, average atomic ranch styled home had.



Fiberglass, whip-stitched two-tiered lamp shades were not the norm if you look back in old magazines and movies of the era. More common were the same average lamp shades you still see today, but design magazines, modern design magazines, tend to pull out certain styles as representative of the times.

So do not despair if you, like me, are unable to afford any Heywood-Wakefield, Charles Eames or Stickley furniture or any other designer identified items. Most folk did not have these styles in their interiors, and I'll be damned if I spend thousands on one item. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment